7 Things I Quickly Learned In My First 7 Days Of College

For incoming freshman.

26
ClarkXiao / Instagram

Starting college is something that comes with a whirlwind of emotions. Sadness from leaving family and friends, excitement to start "real life," nerves from the big and bad college classes you are about to start, and every other emotion in the book. All of these emotions will make it hard to really understand what is going on in the first week and may even discourage you. Here is a list of 7 things I learned in my first week to make that first week feel a little bit easier for you.

1. Have your Snapchat code out and ready whenever you are around big groups of people.

Even if you have talked to someone for two seconds they will probably ask you for your Snapchat, have it ready so you do not hold up the line of random people getting other random peoples snap codes.

2. Move-in weekend is nothing like what the rest of the year will be.

First, people will be moving in on different days throughout the weekend, meaning not everyone will be there. Second, you will be partaking in all kinds of mandatory group and hall activities that start early in the morning and end late at night. Lastly, you will be so overwhelmed by all of this that you will just want to sleep and eat and not explore for yourself. It will get better and it will be more fun.

3. Exploring the campus before your first day of classes is a must.

No, you won't get a tardy if you're late — frankly, no one will care at all. But, it is much better to start your college career on the right foot and know where you are going.n

4. Don't wear lanyards, just don't.

I agree, they are conventional. But apparently, they are also the biggest freshman move you can possibly make. Just take it from me, find a different way to carry your things and ditch the lanyard.

5. You will feel how poor you are.

Looking at/thinking about your bank account is the last thing you want to do. Just develop a budget and stick to it. There will be a lot of cutbacks but that's growing up.

6. Your classes will be incredibly overwhelming at first.

Within the first week, you will be given a syllabus in every class, while also getting your first assignments, and you will not know the best way for your personal note taking in any of them. Breathe and give it a week or two, things will settle down and you will find your groove.

7. Your professors are not the enemy.

Throughout high school, we were all warned to never ask your professor questions or even look them in the eye. In reality, a majority of them are going to be extremely awesome people. They want you to ask questions and they want you to seem interested in whats going on.