7 Refreshing Reads From This Past Semester

Take your pick at a few of my favorites from this semester.

8
Ugly Dog Books

As an English major, I get the wonderful opportunity of being exposed to a wide range of books, novels, poems, plays - you name it - even over the course of just one semester. With requirements ranging from pre-1800s to contemporary diversity studies, the spectrum of literature I get to dive into is always diverse in language and topic. I do tend to differentiate the books I read during the academic year and the books I choose to read on my own but, this semester I came across a few gems. So, with the end of the semester fast approaching and the April blues of final papers and projects filling the air, I bring you a few picks from this Spring 2017 semester that I would 10/10 recommend for you.

Disclaimer: The courses I enrolled in this semester include topics in Shakespeare, Latin American Literature, and Film Studies, so these will be the main topics for these readings. Also, these texts are in no particular order. Enjoy!

1. "King Lear" by William Shakespeare

Now I know Shakespeare is not always everyone's cup of tea. It wasn't mine growing up either; still, after taking two courses on the man's writing, I have to give it to him. He's kind of a genius, not gonna lie. Whether you're a proponent of Shakespeare's writing or not, I recommend this play because once you get down to it the storyline is astonishing and eclectic but masquerades as a pseudo-"Cinderella" tragedy that's compelling for all the wrong reasons. Shakespeare's manipulation of language is to die for if you're already a fan and this play is by far one of his best works. (Plus, fun fact: if you're a fan of FOX's "Empire", the show is based on "King Lear" - ergo you should give it a whirl).

2. "Drown" by Junot Díaz

This collection of short stories by the critically-acclaimed author, Junot Díaz, is a rollercoaster, to say the least. The stories offer a take on the bildungsroman or your typical young boy growing up into adulthood, but the characters are complex and the stories are raw. The stories are meticulous in structure, yet the writing is effortless and fluid, which makes the collection so hard to put down. Each story brings on a new element to the whirlwind that is, Yunior's life and makes the reader ponder the character's journey and its connection to that of a real-life author, Díaz. It is a close look at the life of immigrants from the Dominican Republic written over the course of thoughtful stories that vary in their manipulation of language and the structure in which the stories are told. A moving story that is unapologetically raw and true in its delivery.

3. "No Love in the Wild" by bell hooks

In this essay-review of the Oscar-nominated film, "Beasts of the Southern Wild", hooks offers a refreshing take on the critically-acclaimed film that breaks into the praised shell given to the film by many. The essay expresses the highly perverse nature of the film that is generally not focused on in comparison to the discussions of ecology that the film has sparked with other critics. The essay is interesting and once read, changes the way one views the film itself. I personally read the review before watching the film for class and it was almost impossible to not draw my attention to the details that hooks points out. It's a controversial read but sparks an interesting view of the film and an important discussion of sexualization and race within the world of cinema.

4. "City of Night" by John Rechy

This is by far one of my favorite picks from the semester. "City of Night" follows the nameless character referred to as "youngman" through his journey in the hustling scene during the 1960s. I enjoyed this novel mainly for the eclectic writing style of Rechy that I grew to appreciate more and more as I found myself falling deeper and deeper into the novel. His style is unconventional with a strong emphasis on writing as a continuous "stream of thought" which can be jarring and strange to some (but of course, that was what intrigued me the most). The stories within youngman's journey can get disturbing and unnerving at moments and the ending may not be what the novel makes the reader expect it to be (I swear, I am trying to convince you to read this, not run away from it) but, all in all the story is interesting and captivating in endless ways. If you're looking for something a little different that still hits all your favorite topics of struggle, love, relationships, and identity, I'd definitely say to give this one a go.

5. "Antony and Cleopatra" by William Shakespeare

I know what you're thinking, "Again with Shakespeare? Really?" Hear me out. Yes, I may be a biased, English major and fan of William Shakespeare BUT, I promise you his stuff is great. You may not be super into it right now - I get it - but there's no hurt in giving him a second chance. You won't regret it! (and if you do, sorry...) Still, this play - although not generally the top pick when it comes to tragic romance for Shakespeare - is definitely one that has grown on me immensely. I appreciate this play because just like any of his other plays, the language is just so good. The romance between Antony and Cleopatra may seem a little cliché and exaggerated but, the expression of their love is beautiful in the most intimate ways, giving Romeo and Juliet a run for their money. There is something so realistic and raw about a love story of two middle-aged, grown adults and the circumstances they face within their environment. Not only that but, Cleopatra herself represents such an empowering figure of a woman deep in her pride for her honor and her people - a figure that is generally hard to come by in Shakespeare's time.

6. "Fantasy Cinema: Impossible Worlds Onscreen" by David Butler

This one is definitely a little (or a lot) more targeted for a niched market considering it was used in a Special Topics in Film course about fantasy film, but nonetheless, I still found it wildly interesting. I wouldn't call myself a full-blown (or even "half-blown") film buff but, I have taken a few film classes that I have enjoyed very much. Whether you are an actual film buff or you like to watch fantasy movies, I think you'll find this book just as interesting and cool as I did. Butler offers an extremely well-written argument and discussion of fantasy film and its complexities and significance as a genre of film while alluding to various theorists and movies ranging from well-known to underrated. There isn't a whole lot of scholarly discourse on fantasy film so, Butler's argument is rare in its field which makes it all the more valuable and significant. Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in film especially fantasy or science fiction, even if you've just started getting into it like me.

7. "Perla La Loca" by Jaime Hernandez

This last pick I saved for the very end because it was by far the most unique on my list. I never imagined to read a graphic novel in an upper-level college course, but my amazing professor wanted us to explore a wide variety of literature and I couldn't be gladder that she did. "Perla La Loca" is the last book of Hernandez's "Love and Rockets" series and follows the lives of a huge ensemble cast of characters, mainly focused on protagonists Maggie and Hopey during the post-punk culture. The narrative is in a way all over the place but in the best way. It's a more contemporary story filled with love, sex, relationships, identity, and growth that draws the reader in with such ease. The discussions we had focusing on this graphic novel seemed endless because there was just so much to say about the intricate relationships and intertwining of characters along with the formatting of the graphic novel itself in terms of illustrations and visual devices. The graphic novel had such wonderful quirks along the way and it was an immensely fun read that kind of broke away from the usual selection of just novels.

I understand these picks may be a bit arbitrary in nature, especially considering that I have jumped over a few different genres that generally speaking have zero correlation with each other whatsoever. (This semester was kind of all over the place but that makes it all the more exciting, I suppose.) But, whether you're a book worm like me or maybe just looking for a cool, new read for the approaching summer break, I challenge you to take on one of these refreshing picks. I promise you, you won't regret it. (If you do, there's nothing I can do about that *insert smiling emoji with the hands*) Happy reading, friends!