7 ABC Family Shows You Grew Up On

7 ABC Family Shows You Grew Up On

96
7 ABC Family Shows You Grew Up On

Prior to recently renaming themselves "Freeform," ABC Family was my go-to network of television fun as a middle schooler. This was an era before "Pretty Little Liars" and "The Fosters." While some of these show were fairly short lived and a lot of the time their plots were over the top, I still looked forward to them once a week. From "Kyle XY" to "Greek," these shows were it for middle school me.

1. "Kyle XY"

The most memorable part of this show was that Kyle didn't have a belly button. A sci-fi drama about a mysterious boy who is taken in by a suburban family and is raised as one of their own had a nice cult following. I was definitely really into it, but I remember the finale was very disappointing. However, Kyle was hot and I appreciated that, so thank you ABC Family.

2. "Huge"

A show that focused on a young woman (Nikki Blonsky) attending a camp for those who struggle with their weight was one of the more serious ABC Family productions. I felt really sad as I watched it, but it is important for young people to think about healthy eating and modifying their diets.

3. "Greek"

Although, really, who could ever forget a show like "Greek." Giving us all insight into what goes on in the lives of fraternity and sorority members at Cyprus-Rhodes University, Casey, Rusty, Rebecca, Evan, Ashleigh, and of course, Cappie, were all characters that we either fell in love with right away (Cappie) or later became beloved (Rebecca). While the show got some aspects of college/Greek life correct, it was still a television drama that had some unrealistic storylines. And I still have yet to attend a frat party that is as cool as the ones that were featured on the show.

4. "The Secret Life of the American Teenager"

My secret life as an American teenager involved hanging out with friends, listening to Fall Out Boy, and watching shows like this one. It was honestly awful, and my seventh grade mind just didn't know any better. I still haven't finished this series because I was just done, but maybe one day I will see how Amy Juergens' life panned out. All of these characters were horrible and I do not understand how Molly Ringwald allowed herself to be in such a show. These kids needed Jesus and some birth control, and taking some cold showers also probably would have been beneficial. Yes, teen pregnancy is a real concern in America, but this show went about it in the weirdest of ways.

5. "Lincoln Heights"

A show that featured a cop who moves back to his old neighborhood with his wife and kids examined serious issues such as race and teen violence. While I personally never watched it, it was advertised a ton so I'm assuming it was pretty well liked.Maybe one day I'll sit down and see for myself what it's like.

6. "Make it or Break it"

Probably one of my favorite shows growing up, it focuses on young female gymnasts hoping to make it to the Olympics. It was a pretty empowering show for young girls. They talked about some serious issues like eating disorders and family problems. Plus, the gymnastics scenes were awesome.

7. "10 Things I Hate About You"

Why would they think they could make such an iconic movie into a show? Just no. I loved Lindsey Shaw as Moze in "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide," but this was just a no. No Health Ledger and no Joseph Gordon-Levitt means no viewers. It just wasn't like the movie, which I get, you can't exactly copy it for a myriad of reasons, but it just wasn't going to stay on air for very long.