Floor By Floor: The 6 Types Of People You Will Meet In Cooper Library

74

Folks, it's that time of year again: finals week. The week you've been dreading and biting your nails over since classes started after Christmas break. Since you should already be making plans for your study habits, here is a comprehensive guide to the floors of Cooper Library in Clemson and my own distinct impression of the people who sometimes inhabit these environments on a daily basis:

1st Floor:

This is the floor where dreams go to die and where you know you're going to end up if you're going to be in the library all night. There are no windows, only cinder blocks where the windows are supposed to because it's the very bottom floor of the basement. This is the floor where serious procrastinators (like myself) go so I do not get discouraged by the lack of light outside. People on this floor are most likely sleep-deprived.

2nd Floor:

Calling all Greeks! If you want to sit on social media for hours while being social with your sisters or brothers, or you can actually get work done with them around, then you might want to head to this floor. If you also happened to somehow break or otherwise damage your laptop, this is where CCIT is located. The people on this floor appear to be Greek or are speaking a foreign language.

3rd Floor:

This is the floor where I normally go to write papers because I feel so bad about making any kind of noise on the first floor, and the second floor is just a bit too noisy for me. The third floor is also a mix of people, but with one subtle difference: there are windows, and you can see the light of day! This can be encouraging or discouraging depending on what time of day you're there. The people on this floor are just as hard working as those on the first, but they are much more relaxed. Maybe the exam isn't tomorrow...

4th Floor:

For those of you who have been inside the doors of good 'ole Coop, you know that you arrive on the fourth floor, instead of the first floor. Directly to your left are the most comfy grey chairs you will ever find. This is where many a sailor has become prey to the grey siren chairs, calling your name with how comfy they are and how much you do not want to do whatever work you have come there to do. The people that generally reside on the fourth floor are working in a group or are in transition to another floor.

5th Floor:

Up a short flight of stairs is the fifth floor. This floor is filled with tables, computers, and more comfy chairs set up in circles as soon as you walk in. There is also Java City, the in-house coffee shop. The people on this floor either need a computer, a tutor, or a strong cup of coffee to get them through the next few intense hours of work.

6th Floor:

Groups, groups, and more groups. Also, the air vents are so loud, you can barely hear the other groups or the people at your table for that matter. This is the uppermost floor, the Penthouse of the library. This is a great place to eat Jimmy Johns when you have it delivered to the library. It's an unspoken taboo to sit with another person at a table. People on this floor just wanted a big table.

Which floor is your favorite?