6 Thoughts Everyone Has After A Car Crash

Just stay calm, breathe, and relax.

57
Pressandjournal.com

Weather it was your first or fifth, car crashes are pretty scary. You don't really know what's going to happen and each car crash is different in its own way. These are 6 things you think of during your first car crash and one very important thing you don't think about.

1. It's my fault.

You aren't really thinking about a whole lot expect who's fault it may be and typically you blame it on yourself. Regardless if you hit someone or someone hit you, you typically blame yourself because you feel horrible and it's easy.

However, don't blame yourself just yet. Take a deep breath and realize that yeah maybe it was your fault. Were you going too fast? Too slow? Or maybe it wasn't your fault. Were they going too fast or too slow or were they simply just being stupid?

2. Did that really just happen?

This is usually your first thought. When you hear the crunch of your car and are jerked forward it's pretty scary. Your eyes grow huge and you stare at what just happened.

But, take a deep breath, pull over to the side of the road. If you are hurt call 911 if not call your mom then 911. Find your insurance and exchange information and relax for a second. The crash has happened and you can't change it unfortunately. Sometimes the person may be really upset and yell at you but just stay calm, they're just as upset as you I'm sure.

3. My parents are gonna kill me.

You may think your parents are going to be super upset with you (and they will be if you were driving like an idiot) but the most important part is that you are okay and you called them.

Remember to try and not sweep it under the rug no matter how big or small the damage may be. Make sure you get checked out and you are okay.

4. What's this going to cost?

Now I know this is a huge question that runs through most people's heads after a crash but STOP. I understand money is an issue for many as it is for me sometimes, but it's a car. Yes you may love your car but it's a car. I promise it's going to be okay.

If you are really worried about money, start researching about your insurance and cheap places to get your car fixed. Try and see who will do it for the cheapest price so you don't have to worry about money as much. I promise you'll be okay.

5. My poor car!

At this time you're also worried about your car, you hardly want to get out to even see the damage. You love your car and as odd as it is to say, you have a special bond with your car. You know how to drive it and take care of it. You know how to handle it and you know when something is wrong. Some of you may even have a name for your car.

In reality, yeah maybe your car is completely wrecked but things could have been worse. Even if you totaled you car and you walked away safe, things could have been worse, I promise.

6. What do I do now?

As you get out to look at your car and exchange insurance information and call the police and your parents. Sit in your car and wait for the police to come. Don't make the scene any worse by fighting with the other driver. If you think you are hurt don't make yourself any worse than you may be.

Relax, things are going to be okay. Like I've said a million times in this article. Things could have been worse. I know it sucks wrecking your car. I was totally freaked out knowing my car was so messed up and I may have been and all of these thoughts were running through my head but relax. That's your number one.

But you know when you do get in a crash you think about all of these crazy things and what went wrong and how things could have changed. You think about money and how angry your parents may be. However, you don't think about YOU unfortunately.

You think about all these other things going through your mind. You don't stop to ask yourself if YOU are okay. You don't wonder if YOU have something wrong with you. You don't think about yourself and how much worse it could have been. The number one thing you have to think of in a car crash is you. The best advice I was ever given in a car crash is: "the car is replaceable, you aren't"

So just remember next time you are in a car crash and your first one to be specific, to stay calm, relax, and think of your health and your safety.

Drive safely.