Chili's has taught me a lot

6 Things Working At Chili's Has Taught me

Who said working in your favorite restaurant would ruin it for you?

336
Chili's

About a year ago, I announced that I would soon be working for my favorite chain restaurant, Chili's Bar and Grill. I'd be starting out as a hostess and then eventually would train as a waitress. I have been obsessed with Chili's for a few years now; their chips and salsa have been a staple in my weekly diet for quite some time. When I told my friends and family I'd be working at my favorite restaurant, the initial response was: "Are you sure? Won't working in your favorite restaurant make you hate it?" I scoffed at these responses. I knew working at my favorite restaurant would only make me love it more, and I was absolutely right. Working at Chili's has been an amazing experience and I've learned so much. Here are the top six things working in my favorite restaurant has taught me.

1. The food is actually very fresh.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to chain restaurants like Chili's, where people just assume most of the food is freezer food you pop into the microwave. This is not the case at Chili's. Yes, there are some things that are pre-made, but most of the food we serve is prepared in house and made from scratch, like the pickles, salsa, tortilla strips. It makes me feel better knowing that the food I'm eating wasn't prepared four months ago and has just been unthawed for my consumption.

2. As a server, you can't leave until your last table leaves.

Most restaurants operate in sections, or designated tables for each server. Each server is responsible for making sure that their entire section is empty and clean by the time they've been cut for the night. This means that if it's the end of your server's shift, your table is the only one left in their section, and you're just loitering, then they're waiting on you to leave. So be considerate the next time you stay for an hour and a half after you've finished eating!

3. Don't order your favorites every time and you won't get sick of it.

The reason a lot of people grow to hate their favorite restaurants after working for them is because they order the same food over and over again. Don't burn yourself out on your favorite meals and step outside of the box. It's okay to order outside of your comfort menu!

4. Tuesdays nights are nights from hell.

Many of you may know that Chili's holds a "Kids eat free on Tuesdays with the purchase of one adult entree" special. The people who do know about this special sure take advantage of it. Every Tuesday, families with endless numbers of children pour in to reap the benefits of our generous deals. The downfall is, with all of these complimentary meals being handed out, your server's tip will end up being less even though they're doing the same amount of work. Consider that the next time you're tipping $2.50 on what would originally be a $60 check.

5. It's just Chili's.

I'm someone who gets very easily consumed in their work, and if things aren't going smoothly then I get very easily frustrated. In a restaurant, it's very rare for things to go 100% smoothly 100% of the time. It's an upbeat, hectic environment and you can't let that stressful energy get the best of you. When customers are being rude, a table neglects to tip me, or I inconveniently get sat three times in a row, I find myself repeating my favorite mantra: "It's just Chili's." Pretty much nothing I can do at that job will change the fate of the world or the fate of my life so I might as well take a deep breath and try to figure things out with a clear head.

6. Waitressing is an astounding stress reliever.

As I previously mentioned, working in a restaurant is a frantic environment, and that's not always a bad thing! When you've got a lot going on outside of work, it's nice to come in for a shift and leave all of your problems outside of the restaurant. As you're running around taking and placing orders, filling drinks, and running food, you're probably not thinking about what's worrying you outside of work. I always find myself feeling much more relaxed and comfortable after a long shift just because it gives me an opportunity to channel my anxieties into fun, thought-consuming work. So the next time you consider looking for a new therapist, consider a waitressing job instead.