6 Books That Can Change Your Life

6 Books That Can Change Your Life

With really awesome titles too

36
6 Books That Can Change Your Life
VSCO

It seems like everywhere I look, especially on social media, we're surrounded by constant negativity. Someone always tearing someone else down, or someone even tearing themselves down. In 2019, were radiating positivity and the best way to do that is to start with yourself.

Personally, I have never read any of these books but they all came with high recommendations from friends who have. They're based on self-improvement through small, everyday changes and by forming new healthy habits. Each of these is on my list to get through in the new year and hopefully, you'll find one that may guide you as well!

1. The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson 

From the back cover:

"In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger shows us that the key to being happier is to stop trying to be "positive" all the time and instead to become better at handling adversity.

For decades we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life.
But those days are over. "Fuck positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest; sometimes things are fucked up and we have to live with it." For the past few years, Manson—via his wildly popular blog—has been working on correcting our delusional expectations for ourselves and for the world. He now brings his hard-fought wisdom to this groundbreaking book.

Manson makes the argument—backed by both academic research and well-timed poop jokes—that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to better stomach lemons. Human beings are flawed and limited—as he writes, "Not everybody can be extraordinary—there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. This, he says, is the real source of empowerment. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties—once we stop running from and avoiding, and start confronting painful truths—we can begin to find the courage and confidence we desperately seek.

"In life, we have a limited amount of fucks to give. So you must choose your fucks wisely." Manson brings a much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humour. This manifesto is a refreshing slap in the face for all of us so that we can start to lead more contented, grounded lives."

2. You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero

From the back cover:

"You Are A Badass is the self-help book for people who desperately want to improve their lives but don't want to get busted doing it.

In this refreshingly entertaining how-to guide, bestselling author and world-traveling success coach, Jen Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, sage advice, easy exercises, and the occassional swear world, helping you to:

-Identify and change the self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors that stop you from getting what you want.

-Create a like you totally love. And create it NOW.

-Make some damn money already. The kind you've never made before.

By the end of You Are A Badass, you'll understand why you are how you are, how to love what you can't change, how to change what you don't love, and how to use The Force to kick some serious ass."

3. Get Your Sh*t Together by Sarah Knight 

From the back cover:

" THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF NOT GIVING A F*CK AND YOU DO YOU

The no-f*cks-given, no-holds-barred guide to living your best lifeEver find yourself stuck at the office-or even just glued to the couch-when you really want to get out (for once), get to the gym (at last), and get started on that "someday" project you're always putting off? It's time to get your sh*t together.
In The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck, "anti-guru" Sarah Knight introduced readers to the joys of mental decluttering. This book takes you one step further--organizing the f*cks you want and need to give, and cutting through the bullsh*t cycle of self-sabotage to get happy and stay that way. You'll discover:

• The Power of Negative Thinking
  • Three simple tools for getting your sh*t together
  • How to spend less and save more
  • Ways to manage anxiety, avoid avoidance, and conquer your fear of failure
  • And tons of other awesome shit!"

4. You Are a Badass Every Day by Jen Sincero 

From the back cover:

"From the #1 New York Times bestselling author, start the new year with this pocket-size inspiration and guidance to keep your transformation on track.

For anyone who has ever had trouble staying motivated while trailblazing towards badassery, You Are a Badass Every Day is the companion to keep you fresh, grateful, mighty, and driven. In one hundred exercises, reflections, and cues that you can use to immediately realign your mind and keep your focus unwavering, this guide will show you how to keep the breakthroughs catalyzed by Sincero's iconic books You Are a Badass and You Are a Badass at Making Money going. Owning your power to ascend to badassery is just the first step in creating the life you deserve—You Are A Badass Every Day is the accountability buddy you can keep in your back pocket to power through obstacles, overcome the doubts that hold you back from greatness, and keep the fires of determination roaring while you reach your goals."

5. Small Habits, Big Changes by Steven Handel 

From the back cover:

"Harness the power of small habits to revolutionize your life.

You decide to try something new. You do it a second time. Then again. And again. Eventually, you're doing it without thought. That's how habits form.

Habits start as conscious actions then transform into constant behaviors. Yet they touch every aspect of your life and happiness. Which is precisely why they are so powerful!

Packed with helpful advice and effective techniques, this book makes changing your habits simple and fun. It focuses on making tiny changes that will create long-lasting improvements in your life and empowers you with information on:

• Sleep, Diet and Exercise
• Habit Loops and Willpower
• The Power of Nudges
• Motivation Tools
• Stress and Relaxation

• Systems and Goals "

6. Activating Happiness by Rachel Hershenberg 

From the back cover:

"It's not just big choices that can radically change our lives—sometimes it's the small ones. Activating Happiness offers powerful, evidence-based strategies to help you conquer low motivation, nix negative moods, and defeat depression by actively making positive choices in small, everyday moments.

If you have depression or just suffer from low mood and lack of motivation, you know that your life isn't going to change with one grand, sweeping gesture. But you can make important decisions every day—whether it's getting off the couch and going for a walk, signing up for a course in pottery or screenwriting, or just setting aside some time to meet and chat with a good friend over coffee. These little things won't change your life all at once. But over time, they will shape the way you live and see the world and keep you on a path to wellness.

In Activating Happiness, you'll find solid strategies based in behavioural activation and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) to help you break the cycle of avoidance, guilt, shame, and hopelessness that can take hold when you're feeling your lowest. Using this guide, you'll find little, doable ways to "show up" to your life, get the ball rolling, and start really feeling better, instead of just reassuring others. You'll learn to set healthy goals for your body like eating and sleeping well, as well as healthy goals for your mind. Most importantly, you'll discover how to view your life through the lens of your own deepest values, which will spark a commitment to real, lasting change.

The best thing about change is that you can start anywhere. By building a life—moment by moment—of rewarding behaviours that correspond to your values, you have the recipe for getting and staying well at your fingertips. This book will guide your way"