6 Reasons The American Spirits Are Keeping Garage Bands Alive

As experienced and told by Mitch Kennedy; friend and fan of American Spirits.

245
American Spirits

As always, I am very interested in promoting local heroes, artists, inventors, creators, and all of the above, which is why I am pleased to write this article from the perspective of Mitch Kennedy, a fan and friend of a local garage band. Enjoy the large quotes from Kennedy, as I am very under-educated in the garage band department.

"Around 9 p.m. on most Friday nights, if you are driving down E. Evers Street in Bowling Green, Ohio, you’ll most likely catch a large group of BGSU students heading to a garage known as the Summit Shack. Inside this old, slightly ran down garage, you will find a crowd of PBR drinking young adults singing along to some acoustic covers of some popular songs such as “Roses-Outkast”. But this isn’t what these kids came to see, they are all getting their buzz on, anticipating the in your face riffs and lyrics of The American Spirits, the self-proclaimed “indie band from Ohio, cigarette dad rock”. " - Mitch Kennedy

Free live music is often hard to find. I could listen to most everything live - including country! Now garage band music is something I have not had the chance to experience yet. When listening to American Spirits' demo tracks I knew I had to put this group on my bucket list. Kennedy is going to take the lead and tell you just what exactly this band is all about.

"Who are The American Spirits you ask? Not many know, but they are starting to make a name for themselves, all while keeping the “lost art” of garage bands alive. With the rise of electronic music and ever-growing popularity of hip-hop, this Bowling Green native, alternative-rock band, is putting house party shows back on the map. The American Spirits consists of Trey Miles on vocals, Dillion VanZandt on lead guitar, Bailey McCance on bass, and Conor Kinkdale on drums. Deriving their sound from the influence of bands such as Cage The Elephant, Nirvana, Brand New, The White Stripe, and Car Seat Headrest, these guys know how to put on a show that keeps the party rocking." - Mitch Kennedy

After attending practice and discussing with the band, Kennedy got a grasp on how these four keep the art of garage bands alive.

1. The music is loud.

Loud music is the heart and soul of garage bands. I don't know about you but I love feeling the vibrations of music. I love the feeling that starts at my toes and ends as the hairs stand up on my head. The chills I get from loud live music makes me feel energized and alive.

"Playing loud and a little headbanging never hurt anyone right? Well, The American Spirits will provide the loud, and the crowd will surely follow with the head banging after hearing just a few seconds of one of the riff-y guitar intros. The American Spirits play all original written songs that truly hold the core pieces of alternative garage rock including: heavy bass lines, heart-thumping drum beats, and guitar solos. Trey belts out a wide range of vocals from soft sung heartful lyrics to yells, backed up by Dillion and Bails harmonizing group backup vocals. Many of these vocals are clever one-liners that more and more of the crowd are starting to familiarize themselves with and sing along to each week. The overall sound of their music and getting the crowd involved really brings back a nostalgic feeling of being at garage shows growing up in the '90s." - Mitch Kennedy

2. The venue... what is a garage band without the garage?

Atmosphere and visual culture are key when you invite people to be entertained. A venue in a garage with loud music, lights, and energized people calls for patient neighbors who probably have a love for music as well.

"The American Spirits have the perfect garage for house shows. Kevin owns the garage and has talked to the neighbors that allow for 1 “noisy night” a week. Aside from no noise complaints/cops stopping the party, the atmosphere is near perfect. The garage allows for awesome sound and if too many people show up, the garage doors can be opened and the show can be watched from the outside. The old garage is lit up just right by strings of Christmas lights and various dance lights. The walls are decorated with posters and a wall that they encourage you to sign. Outside the garage is a big front yard, usually with a crowd surrounding a campfire and beer pong table. Garage band shows are just as much about the party and atmosphere as they are the music, and the American Spirits have nailed that." - Mitch Kennedy

3. They have a knack for advertisement and an awesome fan base that use word of mouth.

A large part of keeping this band alive is having an audience and people who actually enjoy listening to them.

"Getting people to show up to your shows is a pretty important aspect of having a band as well. The American Spirits are definitely not lacking fans or friends. All types of people come together for shows at The Summit Shack to watch The American Spirits and friends perform, and this is largely due to how well the members promote their upcoming shows/parties. Word of mouth, band-made posters hung around downtown BG, and social media posts play a huge roll in getting people to the shows. All shows are free entry and people are welcomed to bring new friends along. The American Spirits always have a large turn out and this is huge for keeping the garage scene alive. " -Mitch Kennedy

4. They party hardy.

I think Kennedy nicely describes their party, quite poetic actually. Parties are a large part of the rock music scene.

"Most of the band likes to drink IPA’s, but have never turned down a Natty Light if offered. In the crowd, many are chugging down PBR’s, Busch Lights and other cheap beers, all while sharing laughs and smiles. Many times, a bottle of whiskey is being passed among friends in the crowd, and always ends up being offered to the band, mid set. Good laughs, stories and hugs are always shared. A cloud of cigarette smoke is always looming outside of the garage, which I thought should be mentioned because of the fact of the band being named after the all-natural American Spirit cigarettes. The party expands outside of the garage into the yard, where people can be found playing beer pong and flip cup. Each American Spirits show really captures the party aspect of going to see a garage band…cheers!" -Mitch Kennedy

5. Their "look" is distinctive, keeping the rock style alive.

Combined their individual styled is made whole to create that rock style that is specific to them. When paired with music their "look" is complete

"When I think of a garage/rock band, I picture dudes dressed super unique and cool, jamming on their instruments. The American Spirits members each have their own sense of style, that keeps the rock style alive. Trey can always be found in a flat billed hat, in a pair of shorts, with a cactus printed short sleeve button up (seriously not sure if he owns another shirt). Dillion has long hair, a beard, dresses super hipster and looks like he could definitely be a member of alternative rock band, The Black Keys. Bailey can always be found rocking some thrift outfit from Goodwill, usually rocking a pair of velvet corduroy pants and denim shirt. Conor is typically in a tank or teal shirt covered in sweat from rocking out so hard on the drums. Looking like a rockstar, is half the battle of being one. " - Mitch Kennedy

6. The gigs - in their garage, friends garages and other hole-in-the-wall bars.

A part of getting people to their garage is trying out other venues.The band also supports other artists.

"This is accomplished by getting people to show up to your garage, playing other garages, or hole in the wall bars. The American Spirits are able to do all of the above. The American Spirits have plenty of fans that show up to their “home garage”, other friends garages/house parties, as well as playing shows at a few local bars. They also promote others music, by allowing others to open for them at The Summit Shack, which adds to spreading alt garage rock. Recently the band has been self-promoting well enough to land opening spots for national touring bands such as Hank & The Cupcakes, Nylon Two’s, Gutterball, and Pat Egan & The Heavy Hearts. Spreading their sound around to bars in different cities helps keep the alternative garage rock sound alive and thriving." -Mitch Kennedy

Support local music and help keep alternative garage rock alive; The American Spirits upcoming bar shows (or catch them at the Summit Shack every week):

8/25/17 @ Ottawa Tavern (Toledo, OH) w/ Gutterball and Discount Nostalgia.

9/15/17 @ Howard’s H Club (Bowling Green, OH) w/ Pat Egan & The Heavy Hearts.

10/6/17 @ Ottawa Tavern (Toledo, OH) w/ Nylon Twos.

Follow their social media for updates:

IG: @americanspiritsband

Twitter: @mericanspirits

Bandcamp: theamericanspirits.bandcamp.com (6 song demo posted 4/30/17)

Bookings/email: theamericanspiritsoh@gmail.com