6 Board Games You Need at Your Next Game Night

Board games aren't just for family night anymore

132
Micah Hirschler

Sometimes it's hard to find entertainment in college. Concert tickets aren't cheap. Going to the movies often cost $10 at the least. Clubbing can be cheap, but sometimes clubs aren't the safest place in the world. What's a broke college kid to do? Have a board game night! Now, I understand that board games can sometimes be a bit pricey, but that's a one time expense. Popcorn at the movies is $10 but will only last you one night; a board game can cost around $30, but it will last you a life-time.

1. Cards Against Humanity.

If you're looking for something to play at your next family game night, this isn't it. Labeled as "A party game for horrible people," Cards Against Humanity is a humorous card game that can bring out the worst in people. Each round starts with a judge playing a black card with a question or fill-in-the-blank. The remaining players submit white cards responding to the black card. This may seem harmless enough, but when you see the cards, you'll understand that the hilarity that ensues will be best shared with your college friends, not your parents.

2. Snake Oil.

Snake Oil is similar to Cards Against Humanity, based on the fact that you play cards to win over a judge in a humorous manner, but that's about it. Each round begins with the judge choosing a customer card, such as "Santa Clause." The rest of the players combine two of the cards in their hand to create a product. Whenever the players are ready, they will picth their product to the customer. The customer then picks whichever product they think will be most useful to them; this is not necessarily based on the product itself, but more on how well the product is pitched to the customer. There are countless ways to combine the product cards, so the game will be different every time you play.

3. Quelf.

Quelf may seem like just another kiddy board game, but don't be fooled by the bright colors. While the game isn't considered an adult game in the same sense as Cards Against Humanity is, the game is definitely aimed towards teens and young adults. The goal of the game is to be the first to reach the finish by responding to the different colored cards with spontaneity and good humor. The game is filled with laughs, so it's great for any game night.

4. Phase 10.

Phase 10 is similar to the classic card game Uno. The first person to get rid of their hand of brightly colored cards wins. However, while Uno is about ruining friendships, Phase 10 is about ruining friendships with strategy. As you can gather from the name, Phase 10 is a game played in ten phases. Each phase requires you to make a certain combination from your cards. If you make the right combination before the round is over, you move on to the next phase; if not, you stay on the same phase. The game even comes in a nice compact box, making it great for travel when you want to ruin friendships on the go.

5. Dixit.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in Dixit, they can be worth that and more. While the deck of cards is beautifully drawn, the stories that the players create are what make this game incredible. Each round, a "story teller" chooses a card from their hand, places it face down, and tells a brief one sentence story to hint at what is on the card. the rest of the players then choose a card from their hands that fit the story of the first card. The players then vote on which card they think the story teller played and points are distributed based on these votes. Dixit may be quick to learn, but the stories told can keep you laughing for hours on end.

6. Monopoly.

I know what you're thinking. You've played Monopoly before. It's a classic, and as classics go, you think it can get boring. If you don't think Monopoly is the most exciting game, then obviously you aren't playing it right. Yes, you may be playing Monopoly by the rule book, but if you haven't ended a game either in tears or screaming obscenities at your friends, then you're missing something. Maybe there's a house rule you've always wanted to add but never thought to bring up. Maybe there was something in the rule book that you always thought was a little stupid, but you always played by it anyway. Maybe you've never offered anyone something ridiculous in exchange for one of their properties. Maybe you just need to change it up from the classic Monopoly board to something like Back to the Future Monopoly. Whatever it is that you think your Monopoly game is missing, try it out. You just might spark a love for one of the greatest classic board games yet.