50 Thoughts That College Students Have During That Mid-Semester Slump

I should start a countdown to the break.

4
Marie Claire

A semester is basically an emotional rollercoaster. There’s that high that you have at the beginning of the semester when you’re excited about all of the new opportunities for success that the semester holds. Then, there’s that slump when you’ve been in school for a month or two and a break is so close, yet still so far away. As a student stuck in this part of the semester, I thought that I would share some of the thoughts that most college students have at this point.

1. Ugh! When is break?

2. We have how much work due next week?

3. Was that on the schedule in the syllabus?

4. Are you sure that we have that many exams next week?

5. Ugh, I guess I better start studying.

6. But… I’m so tired.

7. This sleep deprivation can’t be good for my health.

8. Neither can this stress…

9. Oh well… better stop and get some coffee with that extra espresso.

10. I don’t want to go to this study group.

11. I don’t want to do this project.

12. I don’t want to adult.

13. This sleep deprivation can’t be good for my health.

14. I want to go home.

15. I miss everything about home – my family, my bed, my pets, and my friends.

16. Oh, great… cheeseburgers in the caf… again.

17. I’m tired of the food on campus.

18. Why can’t mom be here to cook for me?

19. I wonder what they’re having for dinner tonight.

20. I’m going to call her this evening.

21. So. Much. Laundry. To. Do.

22. Maybe I should start a countdown to break… or to the end of the semester.

23. Is it really only Monday?

24. This semester is taking forever.

25. The semester seems to be flying by all at the same time, though…

26. If I just make it through this week, I’ll be fine.

27. I should really go to the gym and try to work off all of this weight from all of the junk food that I’ve been eating.

28. Why do I have to put forth so much effort?

29. Do professors really have that much time to grade all of this work?

30. How am I supposed to study all of the time, have a social life, and work out?

31. How is that even possible?

32. These dorm/apartment showers are the worst.

33. I took everything that I have at home for granted.

34. Adulting is hard.

35. School is hard.

36. I must be successful.

37. Must. Make. Mom. And. Dad. Proud.

38. I’m tired, but I want that 4.0.

39. The struggle is real.

40. Just imagine your name on a presidential scholar certificate.

41. Yeah, that’s it!

42. That’s a great goal!

43. Okay, time to start studying!

44. I should really get my life together first.

45. But I have work to do before I can officially get my life together.

46. Study, study, study.

47. Don’t need sleep.

48. So close to the end.

49. When is break?

50. Better yet, when will the semester be over?

That slump can last from a few weeks to a couple of months, but then you finally get that first, short vacation during the semester and your spirits are brought back up. From that point on, you’re on an emotional roller coaster until the very last day of finals and the semester is finally O-V-E-R! No matter what point of the semester you’re in, remember this: You can do anything that you set your mind to! Work hard now and reap the benefits in the end! You and your degree are worth all of the hard work that you’re putting in now!