5 Ways to Avoid Burning Out this Semester

It's been a long and stressful semester. Here's how to avoid letting it get the better of you.

59
Guided Therapeutic Exercise

It's been a long, hard semester for me so far: it feels like every week there's a new paper or project or meeting that takes all my effort to overcome. I have definitely come down with a bad case of burnout. If someone is put under stress for a long period of time, typically at their job, they may develop the psychological condition called burnout: a fancy way of saying they're tired not only physically, but also mentally and emotionally. I honestly just want the semester to end so I can rest. Unfortunately, it's still a few weeks from Thanksgiving, and about 5 until finals, and I need to be mentally competent until then. Here are a few things you can do (and I honestly should try doing) to stop burnout getting the better of you.

1. Do things that relax you.

Burnout is basically being under crippling amounts of stress. An easy way to unwind is to find something that relaxes you and lets your reconnect with yourself. I honestly haven't been reading for fun in a while. I have plenty of options, so I'm probably just going to finish the one my professor wrote.

2. Take care of yourself.

No matter what you "have" to be doing, you truly have to sleep, eat, and drink. Eat balanced meals, drink as much water as you can, and be sure to get to bed at a reasonable time. This is honestly one of the first things that drops to the wayside when I'm stressing out. I should probably eat some vegetables today.

3. Exercise.

It might sound like just another thing to do, but exercise does a great deal to relieve stress. I already work out 4 times a week-well, when I don't drop it for a week to write a paper. Even when I can't make it to the gym, I could just walk down to the library to study. Even though it's starting to get frigid.

4. Disconnect from technology.

Get off your phone. Right now. Well, finish this article first. Your phone, if you're anything like me, is not only a connection to your stresses and worries, but is also a distraction from your tasks. I know this is really hard, but leave your phone on the other side of the room. Limit the number of tabs you have open. Step back, take a deep breath, and connect with the moment. Also set your phone on silence. Notifications destroy the moment.

5. Know when to say "no".

College life is exciting, and you often want to do everything at once. However, accepting all the offers and opportunities you have is how you get that infinite rush of every project due and no time to do it in. Sometimes, even though the opportunity sounds amazing, you just have to say no. If else, reconsider your obligations, and see if something has become more of a burden than a blessing. Once you pick out the things that are truly important to you, you can devote your energy to them, and the reward should (hopefully) be greater than the stress.