5 Ways for Salukis To Spend Labor Day Weekend

Hike the trails, hit the road, or dance your butt off, there's something for everyone.

8
Joshua Gavel

Labor Day weekend is here! That means you survived your first weeks of classes and get to have a break. Just in time for your professors to start dishing out assignments and large scale projects, Labor Day comes to the rescue. But how are you going to spend it? Well, Salukis, here are 5 ways to down your Labor Day weekend so that you get the most out of every second.

1. Go Outside

Yep, it's time to hit the outdoors and Mother Nature. Southern Illinois is hands down the most beautiful part of Illinois with tons of incredible landscape to explore. Go camping at Giant City or Shawnee National Forest. Hit the cliffs of Lake Kincaid for some diving and swimming with friends, or just go for a hike at Garden of the Gods. You can't go wrong!

2. Hit St. Louis or Nashville

Got a car and some friends? Then it's time to take a roadtrip. We may not be the sprawling urban world that is Chicago, where many of Salukis are from, but we are relatively close to two great cities full of culture and fun. Head down I24 and hit Nashville for some old soul mixed with new age ideals. The city that launched country artists left and right has some great sites like Opry Mills Mall, Nissan Stadium, Opryland and Opryland Hotel, the Parthenon and Music City. You can't go wrong with a weekend in Nashville. Likewise, we are just two hours from St. Louis, home of the best birds in baseball. Hit up St. Louis for the FREE Zoo, the City Museum, the Science Museum, the Galleria, Busch Stadium and Grant’s Farm. Both cities make great day trips or weekend jaunts!

3. 90’s Night

Monday night is 90’s Dollar Night at Levels. That means you get to hit the dance floor and relive the music that shaped our generation. Dance the night away to Britney, the Spice Girls, N*SYNC and many more. Levels is 19 to enter and 21 to drink, always party responsibly.

4. Chill at Your Place

Just veg out. Do some homework or binge watch Scandal. Whatever you do, chilling at home is the perfect way to relax and prep for the upcoming semester.

5. Go Home

It's a three day weekend. So, if you're just a short train or car ride away, you may be feeling homesick. Call your family and friends and catch a ride back to where you're from. I'm sure your family misses you because you know you don't call them as much as you should.

However you spend your Labor Day, enjoy it. Enjoy soaking up the sun as you hike or enjoy spending the days at the mall or crawling from bar to bar. Whatever you do, make good choices and have fun!