5 Underappreciated Grammys Nominees

5 Underappreciated Grammys Nominees

Just a little spotlight to recognize those who have put in just as much time and effort as every other nominee.

14
5 Underappreciated Grammys Nominees
Twitter Photo Section

Most people who listen to music today fall under a few pretty distinct categories. There are those who listen solely to whatever plays on the radio, and those who stick to a few artists and keep them on constant repeat without any desire to open their horizons, and those who have certain artists they enjoy, and those who are always on the lookout for different artists on the rise. For those who do not fall under the last category, listen up. There is and always will be music that matches your tastes. And if the music you try does not, the worst that has happened is that a few minutes of your time was wasted. There are so many artists, especially recently, that have so much talent but are overshadowed by big-name artists. It is not due to the fact that their talent does not match or even surpass that of the others, rather it is the exact opposite. Most times these underappreciated artists are cast off to the side because they don’t have the same type of media hype that allows them to progress in the same way. The best example to give are the Grammy nominations. Almost anyone can point out artists like Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc., but can we identify others? D’Angelo and the Vanguard? Hillary Lindsey? Above & Beyond? If you recognize any of these names I truly applaud you because although Grammy-nominated artists, many people do not give them the credit they deserve. For those of you who are not familiar with these artists, I challenge you to delve into different music selections; to dip your toes into unfamiliar waters.

1. "Really Love" - D'Angelo and The Vanguard

Nominated for record of the year, D'Angelo seems to be a contender that has been around longer than anyone in this category. Up against big names like Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and the Weeknd, D'Angelo's record has a different spin to it. His R&B style allows him to stand out from the rest as he brings a quality to his music that others in this category seems to not work with. The other artists tend to have music that gives the listener everything right in front of them with only little to allow them to imagine. Although effective in its own way, D'Angelo sets up his music in a more mysterious tone, allowing for the listener to paint their own picture.

2. "Girl Crush" - Little Big Town

Little Big Town has been around as a group for almost as long as I have been alive. They are nominated for Song of the Year, and rightfully so. Up against artists like Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Charlie Puth, and Ed Sheeran, Little Big Town has one huge gaping difference from everyone: age. Being a group for such a long time has allowed them to grow as a group musically in order to produce music that lyrically and stylistically stands out from the rest. Their maturity is clearly shown through their lyrics as they really pour their entire soul and body into every word.

3. "Ship to Wreck" - Florence + The Machine

Nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Florence + The Machine has recently come into the picture as a more known artist. Her style is very indie rock, and that gives her an entirely different flare from the rest of the artists in this category. The pop vibe that the other artists offer are great on their own terms, but this different vibe is one that is definitely worth listening to. Just like the rest of the artists, she really likes to experiment. The "Machine" in her name is actually meant to describe the different bands that she uses instead of using the same band with the same sound. This intrinsic quality is one that adds a great touch to her overall sound.

4. "We're All We Need" - Above & Beyond Ft. Zoë Johnston

Nominated for Best Dance Recording, Above & Beyond is another group that has really fallen out of the spotlight. They have been around for almost as long as, if not longer in some cases, than the others nominated in this category. This recording has a very soothing dance beat that doesn't overwhelm you with all the bass. We are used to listening to song and waiting for the "drop" and this recording definitely has that but the difference with this is that all the transitions flow well.

5. "Born in the Echoes" - The Chemical Brothers

Nominated for the Best Dance/Electronic Album, The Chemical Brothers have found their name to be one that is equivalent to legend. Participants of the EDC around the country, they have lost their appreciation. At these electronic music festivals, most nu-gen listeners actually left their live performance to go and listen to a more main stage performance. It was not due to their lack of talent, as they are an extremely talented group, but because these nu-gens have not taken the time to appreciate them. This song, found in the "Born in the Echoes" album, sounds almost exactly like the title. It begins with a very echoey sound and trails on in the same route for a while until the real beat drops, enticing the listener to hear more.