5 Things College Student's Can't Do During An Interview

There are a few things that shouldn't be done during an interview.

11
Forbes

*Caution: the following is based a true story. Please continue with sympathy.*

To all of those about to graduate or have graduated, one word has all flying into an instant panic. That one word is “interviews.” They can literally be the worse, especially if the interview is with a total, complete stranger. However, it is part of the process of growing up and finding a career to better ourselves. Are they scary? Yes, they are. Can you get through them? Yes, you can. You will be fine, especially if you do not repeat the following five mistakes. These five mistakes were based on a true story my roommate had experienced:

1. Don’t screw up the handshake.

A handshake is so important. A quick moment of contact between the employer and you can say so much so quickly. If you don’t know how to handshake properly, please find someone to teach you. Chances are, your dog has learned to handshake, I am sure you can too.

2. Don’t bring in the competitions paperwork on accident.

I like what you tried to do there. I feel as though you’re playing hard to get with the company by showing how valued you are. Unfortunately, that is not how the interviewers will see it. In worst case scenario, the employer might think that you are a spy from the competing company. Your (not so) potential employer will look like this:

3. Don’t end the interview yourself.

Have you ever tried to write with a pen and paper? It takes a little bit longer than typing out their notes. So, when you have answered a question appropriately, give the interviewer time to write down their notes by hand. If they go silent, that is not your cue to end the interview. When the time comes, the interviewer will dismiss you. Hang in there and learn to be comfortable with awkward silence. Just don’t be comfortable with the awkward silence that follows the second point I’ve made.

4. Don’t hide in the bathroom due to embarrassment.

Whenever you finish an interview in a much shorter time frame than expected, do not go hiding in the bathroom. Own up to it instead! You never know, within that five-minute conversation, you could have really blown the interviewer's mind. Walk out proud! Don’t run into the interviewer 20 minutes later, especially after coming out of the bathroom.

5. Don’t not answer a question.

It’s true, actions do speak louder than words. What are your actions saying? If you were to stare blankly into space while trying to produce a decent answer, it is okay if the time you take is only a few seconds. If coming up with an answer takes you longer than three seconds, come up with something. At this point, saying absolutely anything would be okay!

I have been so fortunate to have wonderful roommates. These roommates have taught me the best way to do something and the worse way to do something. We all have our own sets of skills. For instance, my skills are communicating and being able to easily have a conversation.

As for my roommate who has endured the pain of these five mistakes, he is pretty good at looking sharp for the interview. Come to think of it, I guess I do too. Like I mentioned, interviews can be tough, steer clear of these five mistakes and you will do fine. Good luck!