5 Things I Learned From My Brother

5 Things I Learned From My Brother

At the end of the day your brother will always be there.

21
5 Things I Learned From My Brother
Bex Briesmaster

Sure, a lot of people have them, but you only have the one. That special guy in your life that has been there through all of your awkward moments, your growth spurts, your ever changing interests, the boy band crazes, and the heart breaks. He is your brother and he is a champion in his own right. He comes from a place where he only knows to protect you, to love you, to annoy you, and to cherish you. He is your hero and your best friend. Here are five things that I learned growing up with my brother over the years.

Photo: Charles Briesmaster

1.) He usually is always right.

He has a keen eye for reading people and places. He will tell you if you should or shouldn't be hanging out with someone and why. And if you go against him, that's fine. He will be right there when you have to come back, defeated. He won't boast though, it's not in his character.

2.) He defines the true meaning of friendship.

He is your very first friend when you are growing up. You learn to communicate to another person through him, be it may yelling or otherwise. He will teach you how to adapt and expand your versatility because he too is growing with you. You learn to love no matter what because of him and that friendship carries on into your adult life. You know what to look for now.

3.) He teaches you not to be so self critical.

There may have come a time where you were desperate to seek out fashion advice, so you turn to your brother's bedroom door, friviously knocking, praying for a favorable answer on "whether or not this top makes you look fat." He will look at you, shrug his shoulders, and tell you with all honesty that you look fine. Because you do. The voice in your head that tells you otherwise will stop rambling on when he speaks.

4.) He will help thicken your skin.

Your brother may always be there, but he may not always be so nice. You will get into arguments and he will tell you exactly what you don't want to hear. He will be brutally honest at times and it will help prepare you for the real world, whether or not you believe it. Not everyone outside of your house will treat you with respect and compassion. He will teach you that and you will grow from it.

5.) He will teach you to love.

Your brother is the person who will help you grow into your love for other people. He will bring around friends of his own, grow distant, and come back. He will teach you that it is okay to let someone go and it is okay to let them grow on their own. He will show you love from the moment you two meet for the first time up until he is watching his bride walking down the aisle, because you too, had a part in teaching him the very same thing.

Photo: Charles Briesmaster
Check out other articles By Bex on Photosapian.com