5 Things Every Freshman Should Know

5 Things Every Freshman Should Know

Simple rules every nervous freshman could use.

105
5 Things Every Freshman Should Know
PBS

When you start your high school years, it may seem tough. Hopefully this list can keep you on track and out of trouble.

1. STUDY

It may sound stupid and boring, but your freshman year is one of your most important year academically. Your GPA can either start lower than the Dead Sea or you can keep your grades up and start your first year of high school good. You don’t have to push yourself as hard through your last three years if you just stay caught up your freshman year.

2. Stay Organized

Organization is key. If you are organized your teachers will notice and be more willing to help you out with missing work or a paper you lost. If you’re extremely disorganized a teacher will take note of that also. Folders, binders, notes, and notebooks are the easiest way to keep your papers looking clean and backpack looking organized. If you don’t have the money or are struggling to find time, go to your counselor or trusted teacher and explain your situation. Your teachers are there to help and will do the best they can to work with you and make sure you are successful in your four short high school years.

3. Don’t pick fights

You may think it looks cool to pick fights with upperclassmen or mess with them in the hallways but it’s a big no-no! Mess with the wrong senior and they will put you in your place and possibly make your high school career the worst four years of your life. Not a good way to start off high school, just don’t do it.

4. Your “group”

Your friends will not always be your friends. You hear that all the time and you think people are lying but it’s the truth. The stress, rumors, lies, and wrong people will split up a friendship easily. Getting in with the wrong people is preventable but we all have those stubborn friends who won’t listen and just end up never coming back. Rumors will tear a friendship apart faster than anything. People talk just to hear themselves in high school. You can’t listen to everything you hear but not everyone gets warned about that. Just make friends while you can and find your true friends before you run out of time.

5. Get Involved

Getting involved at the high school is one of the best parts of your high school years. You make some lifelong friends in these clubs, sports, and groups. Athletes have brothers/sisters on and off the field. You need something? They got your back. You’re falling behind in a class? Ask a teammate. Everyone is willing to help you, I promise. Clubs and groups are so much fun! FCCLA, FBLA, DECA, FCA, etc. are some of the best friends you can make. Sometimes you need people more like you with the same life goals and hobbies and that’s the perfect way to make friends. Don’t blow off that club that sounds fun but your friends say is dumb. Try it anyways.