5 Summer Struggles Collegiate Athletes Understand

The grind never stops.

5
Samantha Kuchinski

Summertime. For most college students, it's time to travel the globe, going on adventures and not having a care in the world. For athletes, there's a little bit of a damper on the never ending party: practicing. Nearly every college sport has some sort of fall season or practice schedule and nothing is worse then being completely out of shape come August (trust me). At least we get to bond over these struggles together.

1. Early Practices

Whether it's a beautiful farmer's tan from your soccer jersey or a lovely one-piece swimsuit tan, our assortment of uniform tan lines are impressive to match. Sure, you can lay out by the pool for hours lathered in tanning oil, but that must get boring! At least we're working on our bikini bods while catching some rays!

3. "Sorry I can't, I have practice, a game, a meet, etc."

At least this line is a little more lenient in summer than during the school year. We've all had that upsetting moment when we can't hang with friends because of sporting duties. But hey, this excuse comes in handy also when you don't want to do something -- sorry not sorry!

4. Basically having two jobs

There really are very few bonds stronger than those of teammates. I will take to my grave that the friends you make in sports are the best friends you will make in your life. I find myself counting down the days, every day, until I'm back at school with my teammates -- scratch that, sisters (and brothers).

So, here's to the 33 days we have left until we're back at our favorite places on the earth with our favorite people on the earth -- even if that does mean getting our butts whooped into shape even more than this summer!