The 5 Stages Of Grief: Applying For Internships Edition

As told by "The Office."

12
Gifrific

You don't know when, but quietly, without you really noticing, everyone around you became the mature, functioning person you hope to become one day and did the unthinkable: they got internships. So, you try to get your life in order to avoid spending another summer at home, answering the, "So what do you plan on doing after college?" questions. But you quickly realize it's not as easy as it seems, and you are going through the five stages of grief while you mourn the loss of your hopes and dreams.

If you have acquired any of these symptoms, don't go see a doctor, just get some ice cream and ask some family members if they'd back you if you put them as a reference on your resume.

1. Denial

Nope, I can put this off. They don't even really want you unless you're a senior, so I've got some time. Right? Yeah.

2. Anger

You finally apply to about 53 different places, ranging from relevant-to-my-major to just-someone-help-me. Yet none of them have gotten back to you. Your loss, people. I didn't want to work for your stupid company anyways!

3. Bargaining

Okay, I'm sorry for what I said before. But if you hire me, I swear to you I will be the best intern you have ever had. You don't need to pay me. You don't even need talk to me. Or look at me for that matter. Just give me a letter of recommendation and we can call it even.

4. Depression

The fact that not one of the 53 places wanted you is getting to you, and it stings a little bit. And on top of that, apparently your unparalleled procrastination skills and ability to take artsy pics for Insta aren't an impressive thing to add under the achievements section of your resume. But it's not like you're letting all of this hurt your feelings or anything. Those aren't tears.

5. Acceptance

You accept defeat and decide to go back home for the summer and babysit. No shame. Better luck next summer.

Just remember that you will get through this difficult time as long as you never lose our confidence.