5 Spiritual Lessons We Can Learn From Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

In addition to great storytelling, it has many spiritual takeaways.

1367
DeviantArt

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" is a 2009 anime adaptation of Hiromu Arakwawa's 2001 manga "Fullmetal Alchemist." There was a 2003 adaptation, but that one's best left ignored. Anyway, this franchise is widely considered to be one of the best in the anime/manga industry because of its engaging story and lovable, well-developed characters. It chronicles the adventures of brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric who, after losing parts of their bodies during an alchemical experiment, set out to find the philosopher's stone, an alchemical catalyst that could help them regain their lost body parts. On the surface, that premise seems like another typical shonen action-adventure series. However, there are deep, meaningful lessons within this series that can teach us about life and spirituality. Here are a few:

1. Have brotherly affection for each other.

Romans 12:10 (NKJV) - "Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another."

Throughout the series, Edward and Alphonse protect each other and care for each other despite the many traumatic events that surround them. Whenever either one of them is in trouble, the other does their best to save or protect them. When either one is severely injured, the other has a strong sense of empathy to their pain. Also, like most brothers, they quarrel, but eventually work out their differences. Just as physical brothers share this type of bond, this can be extended to other people in order to grow stronger in their faith.

2. Sin is real, everyone does it, and there are consequences.

Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God."

The alchemical experiment that causes Edward and Alphonse to lose their bodies is a sin, or "taboo," among alchemists, as its purpose is to bring people back to life. As a result, their bodies are taken away. Other characters are part of the state military in the series. Prior to the beginning, they were ordered by the government to destroy an entire race of people, an action which they knew was wrong, but executed anyway. Because of this, they live with the extreme guilt that comes with having taken so many lives. Everyone sins, and as a result, there are consequences for those sins. However, if we ask God for forgiveness and guidance, sin will be prevented.

3. Teachers are good for you.

Luke 6:40 - "A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher."

Izumi Curtis is Edward and Alphonse's alchemy teacher (and also my favorite character). She uses interesting methods in order to teach the brothers, such as leaving them on a deserted island for a month to fend for themselves. However, the skills and knowledge that she bequeaths to them becomes quite useful in their lives. Similarly, God sets up authorities over us in order teach us in the way we should go through life.

4. Control your anger (or at least do your best).

Proverbs 14:29 - "He who is slow to wrath has great understanding,
But he who is impulsive exalts folly."

Edward is a short-tempered boy. He often explodes in anger when someone nearby mentions how short he is. While this is often used for great comedic effect, a simple lesson can be learned from Edward's temper. Getting upset over trivial matters can cause several problems for oneself and the surrounding people. Through prayer and meditation on God's Word, we have a high chance of maintaining self control.

Now, here is the final one for today:

5. Equivalent Exchange is not always a proper principle to live by.

Matthew 5:38-42 - "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away."

In the world of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, alchemists live by the principle known as Equivalent Exchange. This states that in order to obtain something, something of equal value must be lost. This applies not only to the alchemical reactions performed, but also to the many business dealings and such found within the series. This principle is also the reason Edward and Alphonse lost their bodies when trying to bring someone back to life. This principle can apply partially to real life through the Law of Conservation of Mass, which states that matter is neither created nor destroyed. However, this principle is not as applicable in everyday life. The verses above are from the Sermon on the Mount, in which Jesus commands us to give more than we receive. Doing this will yield spiritual blessings as we live for God each day.

I hope these were helpful to you all! If you haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you should definitely check it out! It is an extremely well-made anime and one of my favorites. Have a great day everyone!