5 Reasons Why You Should Leave Your Comfort Zone

You need to do yourself a favor.

69
Forbes

Coming to college, I was faced with many new experiences. Some of them were good and some of them were not so good. I was also faced with many new lessons to learn. One of the most important lessons that I’ve learned while at college is to leave my comfort zone. You owe it to yourself to do something new and step away from the ordinary or a routine. Here are 5 reasons why you should do something for yourself and leave your comfort zone.

1. You make yourself uncomfortable.

While this sounds like it wouldn’t necessarily be a good thing, it really is. When you make your self uncomfortable, you force yourself to adapt. You take a fear that you have and you face it head on. That builds courage.

2. You expand your mind.

When you leave your normal environment and do something different, whether it be going for a walk, joining a different social group on campus or even simply going outside to do your homework instead of staying inside all day, you learn something. You learn that you don’t have to stick to your routine. You learn about new places to go on campus, that you can be friends with someone even if they’re totally different from you.

3. You make mistakes.

Believe it or not, making mistakes can be good for you. Sometimes, I feel like we’re so worried about what others will think of us that we hold ourselves back. You know what? Do it. Go ahead. Do something that you’ve never done before. If you fall, get back up and try again. Don’t limit yourself simply because you’re afraid of being judged.

4. You get the chance to try something new.

Honestly, when I came to college, I stuck to the same routine for the first semester. I went to class, went to work, went to dinner, and finished my night up at the dorm working on homework. It wasn’t until the end of the year that I decided to step out of my comfort zone and apply to join our university’s Odyssey team. It was something new for me. I’d never felt comfortable sharing my writing with others, but I heard from my friends that they really enjoyed it, so I decided to join and now I’ve been with Odyssey for nearly a whole year. During my sophomore year, I decided to go out and meet new people instead of sticking to a simple routine. That’s what college and life is for. This life is full of new opportunities and experiences. All you have to do is take that leap of faith. That’s the hardest part.

5. You take a chance.

Taking a chance is a beautiful thing. You’re left with uncertainty, but you still decide to go ahead and do something that you’ve never done before. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. What’s important, though, is that you took advantage of every chance that you had and you gained a new experience.

Nobody wants to look back on their life and think “What if…?” That comfort zone of yours is a nice place to be, but life is meant to be enjoyed. Go on adventures, make mistakes, learn something new, meet new people, and enjoy the beauty of life. You’re only doing yourself a disservice if you let life pass you by as you sit in your little shell. Go out and live your life.