5 Reasons Why I Love My Summer Class

5 Reasons Why I Love My Summer Class

After my experience, I would recommend you take one too.

19
5 Reasons Why I Love My Summer Class
JJ Thompson

As if I wasn't done enough with school when the move-out day rolled around, I enrolled in a summer Microbiology class at my local community college. I wasn't sure what to expect going into this class and, to be honest, I was kind of dreading it. As it turns out, I really enjoy the class and there are so may benefits that have come from it.

Here are 5 reasons I love my summer class and you should take one too:

1. Getting up early.

I know, you're thinking, "Hailey you said you were going to list the benefits! What is this garbage?!" I can't believe it either but getting up early and leaving the house at 7:00 AM has its perks! My class is only 2 hours long so I am home and getting on with the rest of my day well before noon! I feel productive having been out of the house and back so early and still having the rest of the day to do other things. Don't get me wrong, I regret signing up for this class every single morning when Emeli Sande wakes me up at 6:30 sharp with Where I Sleep, but I understand that getting up early and driving downtown while the sun is still low in the sky and the grass is still wet with dew is an overall good thing.

2. My brain thanks me.

Show of hands for people that show up to the first week of school in the fall and feel like they forgot everything they learned the previous year? With this class, I feel like my brain is engaged more than it ever has been during summer vacation. I could be crazy, but by maintaining the "school mindset", I think I'm a little less checked out mentally.

3. Microbiology is AWESOME.

I knew I would enjoy this class, but I did not realize how interesting microbiology would be! Maybe it's just my medical-liking nursing student brain, but learning about pathogens like Anthrax and brain amoeba (yes, that's a thing) is so cool! Besides the fact that we get to do fun things in the lab like swab our cell phones for bacteria and grow E. coli on agar plates. I know, I know, it's a party. Finding a class you know you will like is definitely an added bonus in the long run.

4. Less stress next year.

The real reason I am taking a summer class is that the class I was taking is extremely difficult and time-consuming at my school. I was also told by my upperclassmen friends to "take it over the summer if you want to get a good grade", which is a good enough reason for me! Every time I want to not get out of bed or I get frustrated with something in class, I just think of how much better my life will be going into my sophomore year of nursing school with General Microbiology already under my belt.

5. Meeting new people.

A lot of people are fortunate enough to be able to take their summer classes at the school where they normally attend during the year where they probably know people in their class or recognize the professor. Since I go to school out of state, I don't have that option and walked into a strange building on a strange street full of strange (but lovely) people. I didn't know anybody going in. I've met some really amazing people! It's amazing how well you can bond with people who you only see for 2 hours every day. I wouldn't trade my lab partners for the world and it just so happens that I share a name with my neighbor in lecture!

I think everybody should take a summer class for the experience because when it comes down to it, the benefits outweigh the downsides. And when thinking about it, what are the downsides? Cost? If it's a required course you'll be paying for it eventually anyway. Getting up early? Suck it up princess, this is the real world. Unfamiliar environment? A little change never hurt anybody. Bottom line, learning is good for you and if you get the opportunity to take a course over your summer break, consider it.