7 Family-Friendly Themed Restaurants To Try In Orlando During The Pandemic

These restaurants will make you never want to cook again while in quarantine.

47
The Boathouse Restaurant
The Boathouse Restaurant. Photo by Eduardo Romero from Pixabay

Orlando is known to be the city of magic with great theme parks and shopping experience, but did you know that you can have dinner in the middle of the rainforest there? What about going on a car-boat ride after enjoying a drink by the lake? Maybe you'd prefer trying Forrest Gump's friend Bubba famous shrimp instead, or watching over a safari while eating some chips.

Well, thankfully Orlando has also a great variety of delightful dining experiences for all tastes, making it hard to decide where to go next time you have a family dinner planned.

As many restaurants are still closed due to COVID-19, here are some must-go family-friendly themed restaurants that ARE OPEN tat you may want to try while in the city.

T-Rex Cafe

Located inside Disney Springs, T-Rex Cafe takes you in a prehistoric food adventure with animatronic dinosaurs, mammoths, and simulated meteor showers from time to time, all while you enjoy your meal. You won't want to miss having a drink by the bar with an octopus with moving tentacles, or taking a selfie with the big T-Rex fossil right at the entrance.

This restaurant is definitely a fun place to go with your family and friends, and they are operating at about half of their capacity now, following the CDC guidelines for the safety and health of customers and workers, so it is suggested that visitors try to make reservations in advance to avoid having to wait a long time to be seated.

T-Rex is famous for its burgers and roasted rotisserie chicken, but their great selection of seafood plates and pasta don't disappoint and are just as delicious.

Location: Disney Springs - 1676 E Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament

Make sure you come hungry whenever you visit Medieval Times. This four-course meal restaurant takes you on a trip back in time where knights would fight for the admiration of their queen, and visitors can experience everything while enjoying their food as the best they can, since silverware was not actually invented back them.

This is a favorite among themed restaurants in Orlando because you and your family can watch six knights battling with real horses and spades. All customers are separated in different colors when sitting at the arena, each one representing a knight and their house. You better cheer your knight up once you get selected for a house before the winner gets the queen's loyalty forever.

At the end of this 2-hour dining experience, you will be able to watch the breathtaking flight of a royal falcon right in front of your eyes and ask questions, take pictures and autographs with your favorite knight.

Location: 4510 W Vine St, Kissimmee, FL 34746

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Forrest Gump is the kind of movie that melt hearts and makes you smile, and this restaurant does exactly the same thing. Inspired by Forrest and Bubba's friendship in the movie, Bubba Gump came to life in 1996 and has now over 30 locations across the world, making it one of the best places to enjoy some shrimp, Bubba's favorite dish.

The design and decoration of this seafood restaurant resemble multiple scenes from Forrest Gump, and although their menu may change from location to location, the quality and flavors are delicious everywhere you go.

Bubba Gump's Orlando restaurant is located inside Universal's CityWalk, and the big pink shrimp that welcome guests will truly make it easy to spot it once you arrive.

Location: CityWalk - 6000 Universal Blvd Suite 735, Orlando, FL 32819

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium and Savory Feast Kitchen

Who doesn't love sweets? Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is every children's dream of winning a golden ticket to visit Willy Wonka's factory. This restaurant located in the middle of Universal's CityWalk has a classic American approach to its dishes, as well as french crepes and other delicacies in their all-day brunch menu. However, you may want to save some room for dessert, because their Milkshakes in a jar are to die for.

Cakes and other desserts are all part of their best-selling items, but honestly, you may want to check this restaurant out to finally see what's it like inside a chocolate factory, since the location very well resembles one.

Pay attention to some of their crazy workers, who may try to sneak in a selfie with you while you eat or wait in their own little shop. Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is a good way to spend some time with your family while experiencing some unique dining out.

Location: CityWalk - 6000 Universal Blvd, Orlando, FL 32819

The Boathouse

Calling all travelers. The Boathouse is a waterfront restaurant with one of the biggest collections of Dream Boats - a type of car-boat - from the '30s, '40s, and '50s, making it a perfect excuse to go on a ride after a great evening in the restaurant.

Watching the sunset while enjoying some fresh oysters at the dockside bar is a great way to spend some quality time with friends and family, and their seafood platters are also a delicious option to share.

The Boathouse is located inside Disney Springs and won a 2017 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor, making it a must-visit spot in Walt Disney World.

Location: Disney Springs - 1620 East Buena Vista Drive Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830

Rainforest Cafe

Rainforest Cafe is the perfect place to go if you ever wondered what it is like to experience dining in the middle of a jungle. The entire restaurant is fulfilled with animatronic animals that can get quite loud whenever one of the many rainforest thunderstorms starts, but don't worry, you won't get wet.

Their American menu has a delicious variety of carnivores dishes and salads. Pasta, seafood, and other plates are also as tasty, but you may want to reserve some room for their sparkling non-alcoholic drinks, that will surely call all the attention to your table.

The Rainforest Cafe is also located inside Disney Springs, but they do have another location just outside of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Their operating hours were affected by COVID-19, but they are still serving guests and bringing joy to families.

Location: Disney Springs - 1800 E Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Disney's Animal Kingdom - 505 Rain Forest Rd, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Sanaa

Watch animals from the Savanna while savoring a delicious breakfast or meal at Sanaa. This restaurant located inside Kidani Village at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas resort combines the African cuisine with some Indian flavors to bring unique and tasty food to guests and visitors.

Sanaa is right next to The Villas Savanna area, where zebras, giraffes, and other animals can be seen through the big glass windows the restaurant has. However, you are also more than welcome to walk around the outdoor pathway to get a closer look at the animals before or after your dinner.

Make sure to have your cameras ready, because giraffes can be very friendly and pop up right next to your table.

Location: 3701 W Osceola Pkwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747