5 Daily Thoughts Of A Retail Worker

5 Daily Thoughts Of A Retail Worker

No, the customer isn't always right.

64
5 Daily Thoughts Of A Retail Worker

I've been working in customer service for going on five years, but I've only recently started working specifically in retail. Those who have ever worked in retail know there is really never a dull moment. Even on the slowest days there's hundreds of thoughts going through my head and this is only a few of them.

1. I know you heard me.

"Hi, how are you today?" ... Maybe they didn't hear me, I'll try again. "HI, HOW ARE YOU GUYS?" *cricket chirps* I absolutely love when I'm met with complete silence after trying to greet a customer, because repeating the same thing all day is what I dream of doing.

2. I only asked if you where finding everything ok.

This actually happened to me this past week. You have a customer that's been looking around the store for a a little bit, and you know it's time to make your rounds. It's time to turn on your sweet voice "are you finding everything ok?" Apparently, I'm not even worthy enough for a glance, only the wave of a hand and a rude remark; "no I'm fine." Well excuse me then.

3. Oh no it's fine I'll fold that shirt again.

You know all those stacks of shirts that are crisp and nicely folded? Yeah well that folding takes time, it doesn't happen at the snap of my fingers. You saw me finish folding them into the pretty stack, you saw all my effort. Wait scratch that, you waited for me to finish folding them before decided you wanted to the see the bottom shirt. It's not like the top shirt is any different, but I guess it's my job to constantly refold the same shirt 20 million times.

4. Oh yeah sure I'll go check our full stockroom for a shirt I know isn't there.

"Can you check in the back?" "Do you have anymore sizes in the back?" "Are you sure this is the only one left?" Let me just go a shirt out of a box, just like a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat. It's fun sometimes to just go stand in the back and stare at the wall because the customer is always right.

5. Why don't we just change the name from fitting room to personal closet.

Trying on things can be messy, I get it, I'm also a shopper, but I shouldn't cringe while cleaning a fitting room. If you leave hangers every where and clothes inside out there's a 95% chance you're on the top of my I hate you list. Cleaning up after messy, inconsiderate people is not in my job description.

To customers, happy shopping and to all the retail workers we'll get through it together... well maybe.