The 411: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling

Don't spend a minute curled up in your hotel bed.

17
The Eagle Eye

What do you think of when someone mentions travel? My guess is that soft sand beaches, metropolitan art museums, and jungle excursions could be a few things that come to mind. Maybe stuffed suitcases, long TSA lines, and lots of envious Instagram posting may also make your list. I'm pretty sure lying on your hostel bed for three days while you sneeze, cough, ache, and drink hot beverages to soothe your throat is the last possibility you'd like to consider, but getting sick while traveling is a real reality.

If you're like me, you've probably got a jam packed list of sites you'd like to see that gives your body almost no time to rejuvenate. Your body's immune system can start to weaken during exhausted periods (even if you feel excited to go out and explore) leaving you vulnerable to the foreign, public germs that are on almost every surface you come in contact with. I can promise that I've gotten sick on every trip I've taken and have become a walking first aid kit/drugstore for all the possible medical emergencies.

Here are a few things that you can do to prepare before you travel and throughout the duration of your trips to make sure you're out and about instead of in your hotel bed.

1. Drink Bottled Water

This is the first on the list because I think it's most important. Drinking bottled water is especially important when traveling abroad. Not all water is filtered and sent through clean pipes. Bacteria can easily contaminate a water source and leave you hours in the bathroom. This goes for ice in your drinks at restaurants. A lot of people don't realize that the ice is water frozen from a tap and can make you just as sick as directly drinking from the sink. Say no to ice and yes to buying a filtered water bottle.

2. Get Vaccinated

The CDC has a list of required vaccinations depending on where you're traveling to. I spent some time in the Amazon Rainforest, which required a yellow fever shot and an optional malaria pill. These vaccinations can keep your mind at peace as you wander through unknown territory. The best part is that many of these vaccinations are available at your local CVS!

3. Use Hand Sanitizer

When looking up ways to stay healthier I stumbled across a Condenast Traveler article. The whole article pretty much centered around applying and reapplying hand sanitizer. We touch so many germs in restrooms, restaurants, transportation. Why let those buggers linger? Kill the source of bad bacteria immediately with some hand santizer. There are plenty of travel friendly sized bottles to purchase.

4. Look into Medical Travel Insurance

I've yet to encounter a pricey medical bill in any of the countries I've been to. I've had some pretty mild illnesses like the flu and food poisoning which usually tallies to about a $30 doctor bill, medications and all. This low pricing isn't a guarantee of course, so having a backup plan for more serious cases is definitely important.

5. Don't Eat Certain Foods

This sounds pretty obvious, but I've seen plenty of people purchase food from sketchy vendors. Do some research before leaving about what food is edible for travelers. I like to stay away from anything uncooked or sold from side street vendors. Seafood can be a risk even if it's cooked. If there's a seafood item that is signature for a culture I usually splurge on that meal and try the dish at a more upscale restaurant.

Hopefully, some of these tips will be reminders to do your research before traveling and make your health a priority while on the road. Happy Travels!