41 Essential Life Lessons For Every Woman In College

Stand tall and be heard.

33
Abby Sannizzaro

As you move through life there are a lot of things you pick up along the way. These are 41 life lessons I've learned and want to pass on to other women in college:

1. You are not a doormat. Stand up, stand tall and be heard.
  2. You are more than you know. You don’t have to be perfect.
  3. Failing is good, natural and necessary to finding your success. It’s okay to mess up, so do it fast, often and early.
  4. You have to be responsible for your own happiness.
  5. You're going to fall in love, and you might get your heart broken, but you’re about to learn how to be a new kind of strong.
  6. You don’t need people in your life who don’t treat you with respect and decency. Don’t be afraid to cut out negativity.
  7. Love fearlessly. Love your family, love your friends, love where you’re at in life right now - because this time won’t come again.
  8. No one knows what they’re doing.
  9. Slacking off and cutting corners isn’t cute and it’s not funny.
  10. Know your worth and demand that people live up to your expectations. Having standards is not a bad thing. If someone keeps letting you down, it’s up to you to say no and believe in something better for yourself. Not everyone will deserve the love you have to give.
  11. Dance and sing as obnoxiously as you want.
  12. Be there for your friends. Make them laugh when they can’t on their own, they’ll do the same for you.
  13. There will be times when you feel like your world is crashing in. Take a deep breath and know it will all work out.
  14. Sometimes the answers won’t belong to you and you have to be okay with not knowing what will happen next.
  15. Just because someone says it’s unlikely you can do something, doesn’t actually mean you have to listen to them.
  16. Trust your gut.
  17. Do something that scares you and live outside your comfort zone.
  18. Treasure every moment whether it’s good or bad.
  19. People can be mean. Know that their actions have nothing to do with you.
  20. Every situation will teach you a lesson. It may be hard to see it at first, but once you take a step back things will be clearer.
  21. If you want to eat that ice cream, eat it.
  22. Be humble but also proud.
  23. If an opportunity to travel comes up take it. See everything you can while you can.
  24. Don’t let the picture in your head make you feel inadequate. Things won’t always work out how you thought they would, but a lot of the time this leads to something better.
  25. Exercise can make a big difference in how you’re feeling.
  26. Being busy can be a really good feeling.
  27. Call your family.
  28. Other people do not define your success.
  29. If something isn’t working out, it’s okay to let go for your own sanity.
  30. You’re probably going to change your mind a lot. That’s okay, too.
  31. Do not let other people dictate how you live your life.
  32. Don’t ever regret trying something. Putting yourself out there can be hard, but you should never stop trying.
  33. Don’t put other people in the middle of your drama.
  34. Don’t prioritize people who don’t prioritize you.
  35. You will lose people you love and they will be some of the hardest moments of your life. But you get through it and others will help you.
  36. Some things just take time. Patience isn’t always easy to have, especially when things hurt, but eventually it gets better.
  37. Reading before bed will calm your mind down.
  38. If you love someone, be there for them always and you won’t regret a thing.
  39. You can’t plan everything, but there are some things that you should. Know when to be “go with the flow” and when to take charge of your future.
  40. People will put you in a box. They can judge you based on whatever they want but it’s your choice to care or not what they think.
  41. There is so much adventure and greatness up ahead, don’t stop until you reach it. Even after that, go looking for more.