Four Life Lessons We Can Learn From Harry Potter

"Though we may come from different countries and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one." -Albus Dumbledore

13
Alison Marie

It’s no secret that Harry Potter is a huge deal in pop culture, but what makes it stand out against other fandoms is J.K. Rowling's influence over thousands of people’s lives across the globe. Through her writing, she has helped shape the views of the Harry Potter generation.

J.K. Rowling has created a community and home to escape to when our own world fails us. She has taught us lessons that we will carry on throughout the rest of our lives. We know this world was imagined, but the wizarding world and the lessons we learned there will always be real to us and stay with us forever.

4. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover

Time and time again characters have shown us that you shouldn’t prejudge someone because if you do, you might miss out on knowing an amazing person. When first meeting Luna, Hermione (like many others) assumes her to be foolish and simple-minded but as the trio gets to know her, she becomes one of their most intelligent and useful allies.

3. Lost doesn’t mean gone

Harry's parents were murdered by Voldemort while he was still an infant and since then, we've seen them come back to protect him multiple times. This became a reoccurring theme which shows us that those we have lost never truly leave us. Love doesn’t stop when the person you love dies, hurts you, or finds happiness with someone else. If it’s real, it lasts always.

2. The past is the past

Sirius was a bully, Dumbledore was obsessed with gaining power, and Snape was a Death Eater but eventually, they turned their lives around and became heroes in their own right. These men proved to us that your past is something to reflect on, but not linger in. Our past may shape who we are, but not who we will become.

1. Love is the most powerful form of magic

Whether it is platonic or romantic, love is everything. Love is capable of saving, changing, and bettering your life. Snape is a perfect example of the influence love can have on you. After hearing Voldemort's plan to kill Lilly, he dedicated his life to protecting her and when the Potters inevitably died, he continued to to risk his life and deceive the most powerful dark wizard of all time to protect her son. If that doesn't show the power of love, I don't know what does.