4 Do's And Don'ts To Interacting With His Roommates

Forming positive relationships with your boyfriend's roommates.

31
Apartment Therapy

Nobody likes sitting awkwardly on the couch next to someone and not knowing what to say. Nobody likes to be around people who they know don’t like them. How do you avoid these situations when you’re visiting your boyfriend and it’s the people he lives with? My boyfriend’s advice to me: “Just be cool.” Wow, could you be any vaguer? Some of this may seem self-explanatory (but you’d be surprised at the people who don’t know), so after examining my own experiences and talking with other guys, here’s what they want the “outsider” to do.

1. Do your part.

If you dirty up dishes, wash them or put them into the dishwasher. If you all have Chinese food delivered, don’t leave your trash. Throw it away. If you all have a late night finals cram session, take your notes and highlighters home afterward. If you partake in building a giant pillow fort, help put away the pillows and blankets.

2. Don’t involve yourself in their arguments.

If it’s a huge deal whether or not the apartment is set to 68 or 74 degrees, don’t interject with what you prefer. If one of the guys keeps leaving his laundry in the dryer for too long, don’t take part in lecturing him. Let them make the decisions about their apartment that they’re paying for.

3. Do try to take an interest in what they like.

If they all like competing in car soccer, grab your controller and join their team on Rocket League. If they all want to watch "Game of Thrones"together on Sunday nights, take a seat on the sofa and unite with the supporters of House Stark.If you’re all on a spring break road trip, play music they like. And if you’re feeling real sociable, try and ask about their lives. You know, the classic “How’s your ma and them?” and other southern chit chat.

4. Don’t try and make all the decisions.

It’s TGIT and you want to watch that new episode of "Grey's Anatomy." Don’t try and hog the remote. It’s their TV, let them decide what’s on. The guys want to buy some cool flags to decorate the place. Yes, it has a cheesy/tacky/cliché saying, but they like it. Don’t complain or insult it every time you walk through the door.

Again, they’re the ones paying for it all—let them decide what goes on inside.