4 Up And Coming Artists You Need To Check Out

Something to listen to rather than the radio.

33
Kaleo

A constant flow of new artists is never missing from the music scene. Whether they've been around for a few months or a few years, new music is always on the rise. I've heard many new and different musicians on the radio, Spotify's suggestions, and even by word of mouth. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a trend in some of the rising artists, so I created a list of the ones I find most enjoyable and most talked about:

1. Bishop Briggs

Sarah Grace McLaughlin, otherwise known as Bishop Briggs (or just Bishop), is a 24-year-old British musician based out of Los Angeles, California. She currently has three singles, released all in 2016. Her music contains alternative influences with edgy undertones, and reminds me personally of a combination of Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine and Neyla Pekarek of the Lumineers.

Where to see her: Radio 104.5 Block Party at Festival Pier in Philadelphia (August 7), or on tour with Coldplay and Alessia Cara (August 20-September 1).

Popular song recommendation: "River"

New song recommendation: "The Way I Do"

2. Kaleo

This band consists of four male members, all born and raised in various areas of Iceland. They started their music careers in 2012, and have two studio albums (Kaleo and A/B) as well as one EP (Glasshouse). One of their singles that gained major popularity is an Icelandic song played repeatedly in the country called Vor í Vaglaskógi. Their music focuses on a bluesy-folk sound, with hints of alternative and hard rock. Their first major performance was at Iceland Airwaves Music Festival in November 2012, and for the first time ever, the band will travel over to the U.S to perform this year. They will have an intimate performance (winners only) at the Ardmore Music Hall on August 2, and then tour the U.S this fall.

Where to find them: The Handprint Tour at Theatre of the Living Arts in Philadelphia (Oct. 1 and Oct. 3).

Popular song recommendation: "Way Down We Go"

New song recommendation: "All the Pretty Girls"

3. Jon Bellion

Jon Bellion is a college-dropout that hails from Long Island, New York, and has been releasing music since he was 21 back in 2011. He has two full albums (The Human Condition and The Definition) as well as many other singles currently released, and is featured on tracks from Zedd and B.o.B. He has also provided digital downloads for his mixtapes in 2011, 2013, and 2014. Jon finds himself and his music heavily influenced by artists such as Kanye West, Coldplay, and Elton John. His music is fun and energetic as well as lyrically creative.

Where to see him: The Human Condition Part II Tour at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia (November 22).

Popular song recommendation: "All Time Low"

New song recommendation: "Maybe IDK"

4. The Struts

This rock group contains four members, all hailing from Derby, Derbyshire in England, who have relocated to Los Angeles, California. Formed in 2012, the band has one full studio album (Everybody Wants), two EPs (Kiss This and Have You Heard- first U.S release), and various singles. The Struts have been described as unapologetically over-the-top classic rock, glamorous, and dangerous. They attribute influences to bands such as Queen, The Smiths, My Chemical Romance, and The Rolling Stones. In fact, they performed as an opener for The Rolling Stones in Paris to an audience of 80,000 back in 2014. They’ve toured extensively through England and France, and are currently touring the U.S.

Where to find them: Radio 104.5 Block Party at Festival Pier in Philadelphia (August 7).

Popular song recommendation: "Could Have Been Me"

New song recommendation: "These Times Are Changing"