31 Horror Movies For Every Day Of October

Your fill of horror movies for the month of October

5293
Caleb Reese

1. Scream

"Scream" first came to theaters in 1996 and continued to launch one of the most popular horror movie franchises. This series is a good pick to start the month of because of it's strong writing, compelling story, and mix of both humor and horror.

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 Version)

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" has had fans screaming since its debut in 1974. scaring people to the point of exiting the theater. It has now become a classic and movie no one will soon forget. with the remakes and a new movie coming out this October.

3. The Shining

"The Shining "is another Stephen King classic that was brought to life on film. Jack Nicholson's performance is nothing short of genius, displaying scenes people will never forget.

4. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984 Version)

Wes Craven's "A Nightmare On Elm Street" created a new sense of fear for people, showing them they are not even safe in their own beds. The character of Freddy Kruger quickly became a horror icon and still sends chills down people's spines today.

5. The Exorcist

"The Exorcist "is said to be one of the scariest movies ever made. Telling the story of a little girl who is possessed by the devil, it has scared audience members since it was first released and still gives people nightmares today.

6. Poltergeist (1982 Version)

"Poltergeist "is another classic paranormal movie that horror fans are very familiar with. Its success resulted into sequels and a remake of the movie that came out just a couple years ago.

7. It Follows

"It Follows "scared its way into theaters in 2014. It brought forth something new with a completely original story, frightening audiences in a way never seen before. With an amazing score and unforgettable story, "It Follows" is sure to be a modern classic.

8. The Evil Dead

"The Evil Dead" quickly became a cult classic and household name, spawning two sequels, a remake, and a continuation of the character Ash, on a television series currently on air. The original movie took more of a satirical route, and the remake took a darker and scarier.

9. Psycho

Alfred Hitchcock's, "Psycho," is perhaps one of the most infamous horror movies to date. It is the movie that created many horror movie tropes we see today. Without seeing the movie, everyone will know what it is just by mentioning the iconic shower scene. This movie created the slasher genre and will forever go down as a classic.

10. Trick 'R Treat

"Trick 'R Treat" is a bit of a different movie, which is what makes it such a good movie. It shows different stories for multiple characters that are all interwoven at some point in the film. Its interesting plot and creative stories that all come together make it a perfect horror film to watch, especially with the story taking place during Halloween!

11. The Town That Dreaded Sundown

"The Town That Dreaded Sundown" is another horror movie I would consider a cult classic. Taking place in the safe town of Texarkana, where the neighbors once never locked their doors, a hooded killer sends the townspeople scrambling for the lock. This movie gives a very real feeling to it by taking place in a quiet, small town and both the original and the remake are both great stories.

12. The Cabin In The Woods

With Joss Whedon as the writer of this film, it was clear this was going to be nothing short of brilliant. The trailer makes the movie look like your typical, campy horror movie, but it is so much more than that. The twist and change of plot is something many did not see coming which is what makes this movie so brilliant.

13. Friday The 13th (1980 Version)

It is a special time of year where Friday the 13th happens to fall on the month of October, and it would be a crime not to watch the classic movie that sparked the hysteria of the day. "Friday The 13th" is the perfect campy horror movie to watch, and will make you glad you never went to summer camp.

14. The Final Girls

"The Final Girls" is film that tells the story of Max, a young girl whose mother had died in a car accident years ago. Her mother also happened to be a movie star, known for her role in a slasher film. Max and her quirky friends attend a showing of the movie when the theater erupts in flames and the only exit is through the screen. They then wake up to find themselves in the film. This funny, scary, and smart movie is a perfect mix and addition to be a new fan-favorite.

15. The Conjuring

"The Conjuring "scared its audiences by telling one of the many stories of real-life paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren. One sequel and many spin-offs later, "The Conjuring" films have continued to gain popularity, still scaring movie-goers and smashing box-office records. These films are a good time if you are looking for a hair-raising horror movie that will make you terrified to sleep at night.

16. The Strangers

"The Strangers" was inspired by two true stories and tells of a couple staying at a family vacation home who is terrorized by a family of masked killers. This terrifying film will give you goosebumps and make your hair raise as the couple tries to escape the crazed killers. Watching in the comforts of your home will do nothing to put you at ease as the movie is so realistic and good at making it feel like it could happen to you.

17. Carrie (1976 Version)

"Carrie" is yet another brilliant film adaptation of horror master, Stephen King. Frightening people with her supernatural abilities, "Carrie" became an instant classic. Sissy Spacek's performance was both frightening and beautiful. The infamous scene with the pigs blood has gone down in movie history and is one that will not soon be forgotten.

18. The Hills Have Eyes (2006 Version)

"The Hills Have Eyes" is sadly not about Mario and Luigi but is about a family taking a road trip who breaks down in a barren, atomic zone where they are greeted by bloodthirsty mutants. Another classic by Wes Craven, "The Hills Have Eyes "is a terrifying film and one with a remake I might argue is better than the original.

19. The Final Destination Series

"The Final Destination "films all tell the story about someone who has a premonition of a terrible accident moments before it happens and them "cheating death" because of it. One by one, death comes back to take the lives of all the survivors. These movies are in no way frightening, but they are very entertaining and there is no denying the creative death scenes make us all gasp and come back to watch the next film.

20. Freddy vs. Jason

"Freddy vs. Jason "pits our favorite horror movie villains, Jason Vorhees and Freddy Kruger against each other. What the film lacks in mediocre acting, it makes up for with the intense battle between Freddy and Jason. The return of Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger is also what makes this film truly unforgettable.

21. The Thing (1982 Version)

"The Thing "is a John Carpenter classic that brilliantly mixes horror and science fiction, leaving audiences guessing what the thing actually is. Sparking a remake penned under the same title, "The Thing" continues to frighten fans and has gone down as another classic from John Carpenter.

22. The Silence Of The Lambs

"The Silence of the Lambs" is the film that introduced the infamous Hannibal Lector to the silver screen. The film takes an interesting route, not following the story of the murderer Hannibal Lector, but rather the protagonist of the film, Clarice Starling, coming to him for help to crack the case and find another serial killer. This psychological horror film is truly unforgettable, groundbreaking, and classic with amazing performances by both Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins.

23. Don't Breathe

"Don't Breathe" is another home invasion film, but one that shows the other side of the invasion. A group of friends decide to break into a blind man's home and rob him, thinking it will be easy, but it quickly turns deadly and they must find a way to survive the sadistic man whose home they entered. The film does an amazing job setting up tension and keeping you on the edge of your seat, wondering what is going to happen next.

24. Insidious

"Insidious" is another new wave paranormal movie that sparked the craze and now has multiple sequels. The original film terrified audiences when it first came to theaters and has quickly become a modern classic in the realm of paranormal movies.

25. The Crazies (2010 Version)

"The Crazies "is a film by none other than George A. Romero. It tells the story of a town whose citizens turn into bloodthirsty monsters when an unknown toxin is released. With a compelling story and interesting take on a horror film, "The Crazies" is sure to entertain its audience.

26. Oculus

"Oculus" tells the story of siblings, Kaylie and Tim, whose parents had died in a mysterious way ten years ago. Kaylie takes Tim back to the scene of the crime, bringing a camera to record what happens, believing their antique mirror has a supernatural force that caused the murder of her parents. "Oculus" is a great and fresh addition to the paranormal genre and will keep the audience on the edge of their seat as they watch the story unfold.

27. The Ring

"The Ring "is an American take on the Japanese film "Ringu", based on the same story. It tells the story of a tape that once is watched, will reveal a girl, Samara, who will kill the viewers seven days later. Rachel, the protagonist of the story, races to figure out the story of Samara and how to stop her after her son watches the video. "The Ring" is truly terrifying with an interesting story that will keep you guessing the mystery behind the ring.

28. The Boy

"The Boy "is a terrifying story about a woman who travels to England to nanny a young child. Once she arrives, she realizes there is no child, but instead, a doll she must treat as a child and follow certain rules. As the story unravels, she learns more about what happened, but has to survive it all. "The Boy" is a smart and interesting story with a very good twist that was not expected.

29. It (2017)

If you couldn't tell by now, I have a slight obsession with Stephen King. "It" has always been one of my favorite novels and the movie is no exception. Pennywise is utterly terrifying and there is so much going on in the story besides just horror. The acting is great, the score is phenomenal, it has amazing cinematography, and there is the perfect blend of comedy within The Loser's Club and horror when any form of it is shown.

30. Orphan

"Orphan" is another example of a really good physiological horror movie. The story is fresh and original, and Isabella Isabelle Fuhrman is simply terrifying in this movie from the way she speaks all the way down to her facial expressions. "Orphan" is a great and entertaining movie with an unexpected twist that will leave viewers shocked.

31. Halloween (1978 Version)

This list would not be complete if I did not put John Carpenter's "Halloween. "This is perhaps the single greatest Halloween movie. It created the craze of the infamous killer, Michael Myers. It also brought us one of the greatest scream queens, Jamie Lee Curtis. This movie is truly unforgettable, with the theme song we all know, all the way down to the name Michael Myers. "Halloween" is a classic and is down in history as not only one of the best horror movies, but one of the best horror movies to watch on Halloween.