3 Things I Learned My Freshman Year of College

Jump and fall, but always get back up.

21
Personal Photo

I took my last final of my freshman year of college a week ago.

I made it. It feels like move in day was just yesterday, yet here I am- on summer break. Already. So much happened this year. I made friends, lost friends, and met people that I know will be by my side for a lifetime.

I learned so many things, yet not only in the classroom. I grew so much as a student, an athlete, and as a person. As I reflected on this year, I came up with 3 lessons I learned throughout the past ten months.

1. Set a good example for others.

Respect comes from respect. It's a circular cycle of happiness, or at least it should be. Let the phrase "treat others how you want to be treated" become a part of your daily mantra. Work hard, respect others, and be nice to everyone you encounter. Your personality will set the stage for how those around you act.

2. Do things you normally wouldn't do.

Nothing worth remembering ever happens in your comfort zone. Take risks. Terrify yourself. Mess up and try again. Jump and fall, but always get back up. Do something that makes your heart pound so hard that your body trembles, ties your stomach into knots, and forces your mind to become devoid of any thoughts or logic. Live colorfully and live beautifully.

3. Always stay humble and kind.

With yourself, with your friends,with everyone you meet. The world is too full of people with negative mindsets and underhanded intentions. Make a conscious effort to embrace the simplicity of sincerity. Embrace positivity; the world may be a bad place, but yours doesn't have to be. Shine a light.