Three Secret Tricks For Surviving On A College Budget

5

It's second semester: you are tired, you are overwhelmed, and you are f*&%ing broke. If you can relate to this, then you are most definitely a struggling college student trying to make it through the school year on the remains of your money saved from last summer. If you are anything like me, having a job during the semester just doesn't work out. I barely have time to brush my hair, let alone take five hours out of my day to go to work. Here are some simple and easy ways to save and feel a little bit better about your life.

Points/Flex. I can beg and beg my parents to upload some cash money onto my debit card, but it's never a success. They already pay for my education, so I'm clearly on my own for anything else. Having my Starbucks in the morning before class is a priority and, unfortunately, it is no longer fitting into my budget. There is a solution to this problem: upload some points to your student ID card. It is much easier to convince your parents to pay for points, or flex, than it is to ask for cash, and you can spend it at any on-campus stores. Yes, that includes Starbucks.

Dollar Store. It took my roommates and me a good year and a half to discover this wonderful place. After spending hundreds of dollars at the overpriced PathMark every week, we finally took a trip to the Dollar Store. To my surprise, they sell almost everything! From make up to food (be aware of expiration dates), toiletries and paper plates, the Dollar Store has got it. Hitting up the Dollar Store before going to the grocery store easily saves us a fraction of what we would have spent if we just bought all of our essentials at the grocery store.

Walk. I know it's annoying, especially living a good 20-minute walk away from campus, but it is the simplest and easiest way to save money. Paying $5 dollars for four hours of parking just isn't going to fly anymore. And let's face it, you don't actually ever go to the gym, so you might as well burn those calories elsewhere! Walking to class, the library, or anywhere else your little heart desires easily saves money and keeps you in shape at the same time.