21 Pieces Of Advice (You Can't Forget) For Your Freshman Year Of College

9

Going into your freshman year of college can be scary. You have to pack your entire life and move it into a dorm room the size of a large cardboard box. It is nerve wracking and stressful, even as an upperclassmen. Therefore, I have compiled the ultimate list of advice for your freshman (or any) year of college.

1. Call your parents at least two times a week. You are going to miss them.

2. FaceTime your siblings, cousins, or friends. Let them talk to you about their lives--don’t judge, offer advice. Show them you care even if you are far away.

3. Study hard. Despite all the other great things about college, you are there to learn and get a degree. Work hard.

4. Don’t skip class. Just don’t. You're going to miss a lot. Most times professors will give hints about exams during class.

5. Eat Healthy. Go to the gym. The Freshman 15 or any amount of weight gain is a very scary and a very real thing.

6. BUT you are beautiful no matter what size you are (or become). Don’t forget that inner beauty is just as important as outer beauty. Be kind.

7. Always remember where you came from. Wherever your first home was, be appreciative of every experience you have had there.

8. Make an effort in all your friendships. You are never too busy to send a text or call a real friend.

9. And if you slip up, the best thing to do is apologize and explain that you value their friendship.

10. It is ok to lose touch with some people from high school. You will learn that you are friends with some people because you have known them since 2nd grade or because you were forced to have classes with them every year. If they are not making you a better person, it’s time to cherish the memories you have had together and move on.

11. Go out or relax at least once a week. Go dancing with your friends or stay in bed and watch Netflix. Reward yourself for all the hard work you have been doing.

12. Always help one of your friends who is getting sick after a night out. That might be you one night and you will want the same help.

13. Gatorade, water and Advil. These will become your new best friends on the weekend.

14. Shower with flip flops. Always.

15. Wash your hands. You will come in contact with every sickness imaginable in college. Mono, the common cold, the flu, bronchitis, sinus infections, pink eye etc. Do everything you can to try to stay healthy.

16. Dress up (AKA jeans for class) at least twice a week. Look good, feel good, do good.

17. “What you allow will continue.” Make sure guys or girls treat you with respect. If they don’t, there is always another one that is willing to.

18. Have safe sex. If you are going to have sex, make sure it is protected. STDs are not something you want. If you’re not comfortable enough to ask him or her to use protection, you should not have sex with this person.

19. Get ready to meet some of your best friends. The petty high school drama is over. You are are going to meet people that are funny, weird, smart and overall amazing. Let them make you the best version of yourself.

20. Laugh. College is completely different than the life you have lead thus far. Have a good sense of humor, sometimes it is best to just laugh it off.

21. Grow. I know it sounds cliché, but for the first time in your life you can be exactly who you want to be. Do not be afraid to explore hobbies, meet lots of different people and learn new things. Take any opportunity you want. A year from now you are going to feel like a completely different person in the best way.

Just remember, as hard as it may seem, you are not the first person going to college or struggling through college. You are going to figure it out and end up loving it. The next four years are completely what you make of them!