2021 Oscars Predictions: who should, will win

Two Odyssey reporters make predictions on the 93rd Academy Awards winners

109
Photo credit: The Academy Awards on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir49DZOdSzw

The 93rd Academy Awards is airing a little later than usual on April 25, 2021. To say it's been a rough year for the film industry is an understatement. And it's hard to watch some of these films for viewers at home who might not subscribe to all the streaming services available.

But nevertheless, the Oscar nominees are as impressive as ever with plenty of toss-ups.

Once again, I teamed up with my fellow Odyssey film critic, writer and friend Brandon King to break down this year's nominees and predict about half of the nominees each. Go check out his 2021 Oscars predictions for the complete prediction pool.

*Note: Like last year, our predictions don't cover the categories for Best Live Action Short and Best Documentary Short. We respect the categories, but sadly, no one on our team had seen enough of the nominees to make predictions that we were confident in.

Best Visual Effects

TENET - Final Trailerwww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Love and Monsters" (Matt Sloan, Genevieve Camilleri, Matt Everitt and Brian Cox), "The Midnight Sky" (Matthew Kasmir, Christopher Lawrence, Max Solomon and David Watkins), "Mulan" (Sean Faden, Anders Langlands, Seth Maury and Steve Ingram), "The One and Only Ivan"(Nick Davis, Greg Fisher, Ben Jones and Santiago Colomo Martinez), "Tenet" (Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley and Scott Fisher)

I'm still completely shocked that "Love and Monsters" got an Oscar nomination, but good for them. It's one of those movies that premiered quietly, unless you're a Dylan O'Brien fan. However, I don't think it has much of a horse in this race when compared to "Mulan" or "Tenet." "The Midnight Sky" is a beautiful movie, but it's not as breath-taking as the stunning rewind effects of "Tenet" or the landscapes in "Mulan." "Ivan" is a wonderful nominee, too. But it's rare for the Oscars to award films with faux animal visual effects.

Should Win: "Tenet"

Will Win: "Tenet"

Best Sound

Sound of Metal – Official Trailer | Prime Videowww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Greyhound" (Warren Shaw, Michael Minkler, Beau Borders and David Wyman), "Mank" (Ren Klyce, Jeremy Molod, David Parker, Nathan Nance and Drew Kunin), "News of the World" (Oliver Tarney, Mike Prestwood Smith, William Miller and John Pritchett), "Soul" (Ren Klyce, Coya Elliott and David Parker), "Sound of Metal" (Nicolas Becker, Jaime Baksht, Michellee Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés and Phillip Bladh)

A general audience couldn't distinguish the difference between Sound Editing and Sound Mixing categories, and so the simple Sound category was born. In the last four years, the Oscars for sound categories went to war-period dramas like "1917," "Dunkirk" and "Hacksaw Ridge." But in 2019, "Bohemian Rhapsody" landed a sound win. So by trends alone, I'd say it's down to either "Greyhound" or "Sound of Metal." I'm counting on "Sound of Metal" to take home the statue because of its innovative sound designs and efforts to immerse viewers in Ruben's hearing loss.

Should Win: "Sound of Metal"

Will Win: "Sound of Metal"

Best Costume Design

Disney's Mulan | Official Trailerwww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Emma" (Alexandra Byrne), "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" (Ann Roth), "Mank" (Trish Summerville), "Mulan" (Bina Daigeler), "Pinocchio" (Massimo Cantini Parrini)

Honestly, I think Costume Design is a toss up. The Academy seems to favor period dramas in this category, such as "Anna Karenina" and "Little Women." But the designs in "Ma" and "Mank" represent the characters' personalities with Ma (Viola Davis) donning bold colors and patterns and Marion (Amanda Seyfried) wearing glamorous 1930's clothing. I think Hollywood will choose the film about Hollywood, even though "Mulan" deserves the win for their elaborate costume design.

Should win: "Mulan"

Will win: "Mank"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom | Official Trailer | Netflixwww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Emma" (Marese Langan, Laura Allen and Claudia Stolze), "Hillbilly Elegy" (Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle and Patricia Dehaney), "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" (Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson), "Mank" (Gigi Williams, Kimberley Spiteri and Colleen LaBaff), "Pinocchio" (Mark Coulier, Dalia Colli and Francesco Pegoretti)

Other than "Hillbilly Elegy" replacing "Mulan," this category has the same nominee lineup as Best Costume Design. Whenever I make my makeup and hairstyling prediction, I look at the film that makes their actors unrecognizable. Due to the time and resources it takes to make the actors unfamiliar at first glance, I'm predicting that "Ma" will win. Davis is hiding behind the prosthetic teeth and harsh makeup. "Hillbilly" also deserves the win, but it's not the first time we've seen an unrecognizable Glenn Close. I feel like it wouldn't have resonated with voters as much from overkill.

Should win: "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"

Will win: "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"

Best Documentary Feature

TIME – Official Trailer | Prime Videowww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Collective" (Alexander Nanau and Bianca Oana) "Crip Camp" (Nicole Newnham, Jim LeBrecht and Sara Bolder), "The Mole Agent" (Maite Alberdi and Marcela Santibáñez), "My Octopus Teacher" (Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed and Craig Foster), "Time" (Garrett Bradley, Lauren Domino and Kellen Quinn)

"Octopus" is the most charming pick out of the mostly serious documentary nominees. But in terms of substance and documentaries that stay with the audience, "Time" is the most deserving. Due to the Black Lives Matter movements across America, "Time" feels like an all-too relevant documentary and represents issues on racism, unequal rights and other similar matters close to Americans' hearts. The story of Fox Rich and Rob Rich II is so powerful, and it's told in a well-written and gripping way.

Should win: "Time"

Will win: "Time"

Best International Feature Film

Quo Vadis, Aida? - Official Trailerwww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Another Round" (Denmark), "Better Days" (Hong Kong), "Collective" (Romania), "The Man Who Sold His Skin" (Tunisia), "Quo Vadis, Aida?" (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

In my opinion "The Life Ahead" was snubbed. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's look at these nominees...

"Another Round" boasts a cast with worldwide recognition like Mads Mikkelsen, but I don't think it'll pull ahead for the win. "Collective" is an engaging film about investigative journalists and their reports on health-care fraud. There's a chance that the Romanian film can take it all, but "Aida" is an equally fantastic contender. Upon looking at the depth of emotions and the true story-based writing, both films could win the best International Feature Film. But I think "Aida" will pull ahead thanks to Jasna Djuricic's performance.

Should win: "Quo Vadis, Aida?"

Will win: "Quo Vadis, Aida?"

Best Adapted Screenplay

One Night in Miami... | Official Trailerwww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm" (Screenplay by Sacha Baron Cohen & Anthony Hines & Dan Swimer & Peter Baynham & Erica Rivinoja & Dan Mazer & Jena Friedman & Lee Kern; Story by Sacha Baron Cohen & Anthony Hines & Dan Swimer & Nina Pedrad), "The Father" (Screenplay by Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller), "Nomadland" (Written for the screen by Chloé Zhao), "One Night in Miami" (Screenplay by Kemp Powers), "The White Tiger" (Written for the screen by Ramin Bahrani)

My initial reaction to seeing Adapted Screenplay's nominee list was "Wow, check out the credits behind Borat!" Those are a lot of names, but will they win the Oscar? I think the comedy has a long shot of winning when compared to "The Father," "Nomadland" and "One Night in Miami" with their loud, not ironic success.

Despite the movie's praise, I didn't like "One Night in Miami." The film feels extremely slow, which is interesting since the story is thought-provoking to imagine all these icons in one room. Having said that, I can see it winning because of its endearing characters and cheers from critics. But I'd much rather see "The Father" take the award for writing that makes viewers question what is reality and what is fiction as Anthony's memory declines. I can keep going on about the drama starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman, but I will let my review do the talking.

Should win: "The Father"

Will win: "One Night in Miami"

Best Original Screenplay

Minari | Official Trailer HD | A24www.youtube.com

Nominees: "Judas and the Black Messiah" (Screenplay by Will Berson & Shaka King; Story by Will Berson & Shaka King and Kenny Lucas & Keith Lucas), "Minari" (Written by Lee Isaac Chung), "Promising Young Woman" (Written by Emerald Fennell), "Sound of Metal" (Screenplay by Darius Marder & Abraham Marder; Story by Darius Marder & Derek Cianfrance), "The Trial of the Chicago 7" (Written by Aaron Sorkin)

I know it's a blanket statement, but all of these films have a great chance of winning this category. But my personal favorite that I'm rooting for is "Minari." It was my one of my favorite films in the 2021 Oscars race for its slice-of-life storytelling. You can read more of my thoughts on "Minari" in my review, but to keep it brief I loved that it spins expectations. As a Korean family trying to reach for their American Dream to own a farm, viewers may find that they'll face racism in Arkansas, especially when they meet a friend who is a Korean War veteran. But racism is never an issue. It's just a story of a family trying to make ends meet to get the dream farm they want. Plus, the relationship between the grandson (Alan S. Kim) and grandmother (Yuh-Jung Youn) is the best part of the movie.

Should win: "Minari"

Will win: "Minari"

Best Director

NOMADLAND | Official Trailer | Searchlight Pictureswww.youtube.com

Nominees: "Another Round" (Thomas Vinterberg), "Mank" (David Fincher), "Minari" (Lee Isaac Chung), "Nomadland" (Chloé Zhao) "Promising Young Woman" (Emerald Fennell)

"What? She didn't pick 'Nomadland' for best original screenplay?" Nope, I didn't. And it's because I'm putting all my chips on Chloé Zhao winning Best Director. I find it hard to believe that the Oscars would snub Zhao, especially after she won directing categories at The Golden Globes, AACTA International Awards and BAFTA Awards. She rightfully would win this category because of how intimate the film is for audiences. She masterfully directs the cast, some of whom are real-life American nomads, and brings all movie elements in one phenomenal

Should win: "Nomadland" (Chloé Zhao)

Will win: "Nomadland" (Chloé Zhao)

Best Actress

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN - Official Trailer [HD] - This Christmaswww.youtube.com

Nominees: Viola Davis ("Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"), Andra Day ("The United States vs. Billie Holiday"), Vanessa Kirby ("Pieces of a Woman"), Frances McDormand ("Nomadland"), Carey Mulligan ("Promising Young Woman")

Talk about a tough race, but I admit that I haven't seen "Billie Holiday" yet. In my books, the top contenders are McDormand, Davis or Mulligan. McDormand can say a lot without being boisterous, and she's Oscars-approved thanks to two Best Actress wins from The Academy. Davis won Best Supporting Actress in "Fences" and most critics project that she will win. And Mulligan completely owns her movie as a woman seeking revenge, but she hasn't won an Oscar yet. Out of the three, I'm rooting for underdog Mulligan, but I think Davis will end up taking home the award.

Should win: Carey Mulligan ("Promising Young Woman")

Will win: Viola Davis ("Ma Rainey's Black Bottom")

Best Supporting Actor

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH - Official Trailerwww.youtube.com

Nominees: Sacha Baron Cohen ("The Trial of the Chicago 7"), Daniel Kaluuya ("Judas and the Black Messiah"), Leslie Odom, Jr. ("One Night in Miami"), Paul Raci ("Sound of Metal"), Lakeith Stanfield ("Judas and the Black Messiah")

According to an article from Vulture, "20 of the last 30 Supporting Actor Oscar winners won the Globe first." To me, the winner is almost guaranteed to be Kaluuya. And yes, it's confusing that Kaluuya and Stanfield are both in this category. Which is why I think Raci is getting snubbed – except with the National Society of Film Critics Award.

Should win: Paul Raci ("Sound of Metal")

Will win: Daniel Kaluuya ("Judas and the Black Messiah")

Best Picture

Nominees: "The Father," "Judas and the Black Messiah," "Mank," "Minari," "Nomadland," "Promising Young Woman," "Sound of Metal," "The Trial of the Chicago 7"

Time for the big award! It's a tight race, but I agree with popular opinion: "Nomadland" will win Best Picture.

"Mank" is completely out of consideration since it flunked as Netflix's front-runner despite rigorous campaigning. It definitely nabbed plenty of nominations, but I think they'll ultimately be snuffed in most of their categories. It's a miracle that it made it into the Best Picture consideration, but it's because it's a film about Hollywood – perfect bait for the voters.

"Promising Young Woman" has extreme tonal shifts that might not jive with all viewers, and "The Trial of the Chicago 7" has potential, but director and writer Aaron Sorkin's work is divisive amongst the public and critics alike. And "Sound of Metal" will surely nab other categories, but I think it will miss the boat for Best Picture. Same goes for "Judas."

So it comes down to "The Father," "Minari" and "Nomadland." As much as I will pull for the first two to win (more for "The Father"), I'm positive that popular pick "Nomadland" will win. The film's conversation hasn't stopped since it premiered. The general public loves the film too, likely because it gives some needed attention to nomads who were "forgotten" by society. It was Phoenix Film Critics Society's Best Picture pick as well as plenty of critics across the country. It's not original to pick "Nomadland," but it's hard to argue against it.

Should win: "Nomadland" / "The Father"

Will win: "Nomadland"

Watch the Oscars, tell us what you think

We want to hear from you! Which movies do you want to see win an Oscar? Time will tell how accurate our predictions are.
Watch the 93rd Academy Awards on Sunday, April 25 at 8 EST | 5 PST on ABC.

Follow Samantha Incorvaia on Twitter at @s_incorvaia.