PSA- Just Because 2020s Over Doesn't Mean The Pandemic Is Over

Because I know there are a lot of you out there that need this reminder

20

Have any of you been watching the news lately? It isn't pretty.

In fact, it's never been worse. December has been the worst month so far in the United States.

Back when we were all taking lockdown pretty seriously the months of March and April, the news was scary, don't get me wrong, but some of you haven't been keeping up with the information now, and it shows.

I went to a gathering and got COVID-19 after being pretty good about staying home and social distancing. I learned my lesson and started being better because of it to protect my family and those that I love. I've hardly left my apartment all semester and since I've been home for winter break, I can count on one hand how many times I've left my house.

This post is coming at you all now after your New Years' Eve parties. Maybe some of you have COVID-19 because of the choice you made to party instead of staying home to protect yourself and others. Maybe you know somebody that this is happening to. Maybe you've even lost someone to the virus.

Entire countries have beat the virus and life is back to normal.

Here in the U.S., it seems that everyone would rather that hundreds of thousands of people die before they would stay home another month. There are sacrifices that have to be made to beat this thing, but Americans are over it.

This past year, 2020, was a difficult year for literally every single person, not just you. Now, in 2021, it will not be any different in the direction we're going. Events will continue to be canceled and classes will continue to be remote if nothing is done. And this includes you. You are not too small to make a difference.

Stay home. Wear a mask. Don't go to small gatherings, as those are the events that are transmitting COVID-19 more than being in public. Remember that. You're more likely to get COVID-19 from going to a party, not going to the grocery store.

Ohio has these commercials I'm seeing in which nurses are crying on-screen, begging for the public to take the pandemic more seriously. Think about the healthcare workers and their job you're completely disregarding. Think about the death toll rising when you step outside the door and vow to do better. Maybe turn around and stay inside.

My school is bringing everyone back to campus this semester. Our college town is located in the poorest area in Ohio. Our hospital has 10 ICU beds total, and this hospital serves the surrounding counties as well. We'll see how good this decision works out for us.

I'm not the only one begging you to be conscious of your actions.

Healthcare workers are. The elderly are. The immuno-compromised are. The people that can't go on with their lives acting like they're invincible and completely disregarding everyone else are. Be smart. Help bring the change you want to see so life can start returning to normal. It's not going to happen overnight, and it certainly won't happen if we continue living the way we are.

P.S. Get the vaccine. You should be more worried about the grimy disgusting bars you're all hanging out in than literal scientists.