The 2016 Presidential Election From The Perspective Of A College Student
Politics

I voted, and I am proud to say that I did.

5
The USA Online

I'm a 19 year-old college student who is finally old enough to vote, but this year presents a bit of a challenge. I feel like I'm not alone in this opinion, but I find it frustrating that the two main candidates I am left with both have so much dirty laundry they're dragging around with them. However, this doesn't mean I have an excuse to not vote. I am given the right and privilege to play a role in the selection of our president, and if I want to complain about the outcome then I need to participate in the process.

From the perspective of a college student, here's my take on the 2016 presidential election:

First off, I do not think people should vote for one candidate simply to avoid voting for the other. If you're going to vote for a candidate, find something about his or her campaign that you support. Even if there is literally only one thing about that candidate that you agree with, that's more informed than simply choosing him or her based on the flaws of another candidate.

Second, I don't think we should approach this election ignorantly. Do some research, watch debates, or just turn on the news. The media has been persistently keeping up with the trails these candidates are leaving behind, so it's easy to reference or look up something you might hear about. With that being said, there are many deceptions and misconceptions entangled in this presidential campaign, which is why it is so important to be well informed about each candidate. Try to understand the policies and intentions that you're voting for. Do not enter the voting booth without knowing anything about either candidate; you have no idea what you might be contributing to.

Third, and probably the most relevant point now that the election is coming to an end, is that no matter what results come from this, we are still a united country. The world is not going to end based on this election, no matter how much it might feel like it. It is extremely frustrating to figure out how to approach the options in front of us. I know that many people will discredit my take on all of this because of my age. I get it, there are things about our country and government that I am naive about. However, it is still important that we don't let this election corrupt our moral thinking. Regardless of who is elected, it is still the task of people to maintain peace and order in "the home of the free." We can pray for our government, love on our public service members, and respect the laws placed before us. We still need to play our role as citizens, and we need to trust that our president will fulfill his or her role in a just way.

Pray for the country. Pray for the government. Pray that God fuels our president with wisdom, morality, and justice. We live in the "United" States, which means that we the people need to recognize our role in this democracy. We need to live with intentions of respect, seeking knowledge, and action. If we do our part, this country will remain strong. The country won't immediately crumble due to the results of this election, but our next president will definitely influence the direction our country takes. I want to have a say in that direction, so I voted.