20 Underrated Things To Be Thankful For

20 Underrated Things To Be Thankful For

Unconventional and sometimes quirky: things to be thankful for.

352
20 Underrated Things To Be Thankful For

Thanksgiving is the one day of the year specifically devoted to acknowledging and celebrating our numerous blessings. Consistent with the theme of reflection and thanks, it seems we all have a family member who insists, year-after-year, that we go around the table during the Thanksgiving meal and share “what we are thankful for this year.”

Even though we may grow tired of this annual sharing ritual, it actually does have significance. It allows us to reflect on and vocalize gratitude about important things we often take for granted. These can range from something as small as fuzzy socks to keep your feet warm during winter, to bigger, more important things like health, financial stability, family and friends, living in a free country, education, and many more. We cannot forget about electricity, clothes, food, and a roof over our head. I confess I am one who often fails to appreciate the gifts I have in my life. I am reminded each year of the importance of appreciating those gifts on Thanksgiving and particularly when asked what I am thankful for during the meal.

Though the bigger, more substantial blessings in our life take precedence, we must also remember the little things that help get us through the day. These things, though small, are impactful and do not get enough recognition.

So here is a list of unconventional/underrepresented – and sometimes quirky – things to be thankful for:

1. Coffee: as necessary as air when you’re in college.

2. Workout clothes: functional and comfortable.

3. Pillows: especially really fluffy ones. Blankets are overrated; pillows are underrated.

4. Headphones: essential for listening to music at any time. Also a useful tool for ignoring someone who is annoying or when you would rather pretend not to hear.

5. Siblings: A great support system, great friends and someone to blame for everything that goes wrong.

6. Finishing homework: short-lived, especially in college, but an amazing feeling.

7. Good night of sleep: you actually feel fully rested in the morning.

8. Really good workout: where you work out hard enough so that your mood improves because of endorphins.

9. Febreeze: you’re lying if you say you haven't used it instead of washing something.

10. Netflix: from comedies to horror films, to TV shows, to old films, to documentaries (my personal favorite), a great distraction.

11. Puppies: everything about them. I am especially appreciative of the recent rise in puppy videos on social media.

12. Clothes from the dryer: putting on clothes that are warm out of the dryer is nirvana.

13. Oxygen: what would we do without air. Ask Martians if they wish they had it.

14. Wi-Fi: perhaps one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century.

15. Long telephone calls with good friends: I always feel better when I talk to my best friends who are so far away from me and who I miss dearly.

16. Sunglasses: can’t be outside without them, can’t drive without them, just can’t live without them.

17. Candles: so many shapes, sizes, and colors. You can’t forget about how good they make an entire room smell.

18. Trees, lakes, the ocean, flowers, glaciers: basically the beauty that surrounds us everywhere outside.

19. Music: who doesn’t love music, there is a genre for everyone.

20. Quiet time alone: when you can have deep thoughts and self-reflection.