20 Things That I Have Learned In 20 Years

Here are 20 things that I have learned since gracing the Earth with my presence in 1996.

9

I have experienced almost 20 years of life. I have learned lots of bits of advice, information, and particulars about life in that time. Here are 20 things that I have learned in 20 years:

1.In general, don't bring a bunch of heels to college. In reality, you'll never wear them.

2. Don't buy $50 mascara. The stuff from Walgreens will work fine.

3. When going out, wear comfortable shoes. It's just too much effort otherwise.

4. Make friends with your college RAs. They are people too, and they sometimes can help you get out of sticky situations.

5. Make your bed. Nothing feels more adult than getting into a nicely made bed after a long day.

6. Don't ever continue a relationship or friendship if you are putting in vastly more effort, care or time than the other person.

7. Always be polite to waitresses, baristas, cashiers or anyone similar. If you really need something and are polite, they will be much more willing to help.

8. Randomly call your grandparents.

9. Buy good quality sheets. Icky, cheap sheets are the worst. Also, buy a good mattress pad. It's worth the $100.

10. Never be afraid to challenge your beliefs or anyone else's (as long as you are respectful.) You can learn a lot, if not, at least you'll be able to reinforce your own.

11. Don't be a jerk to someone because you may never know the personal battles that they are fighting at any given time.

12. Be on time.

13. Embrace your quirks, weirdness or other idiosyncrasies. What you may see as a flaw is often what others find most fascinating about you.

14. On bad days, remember that french fries and Oreos are gluten free :)

15. Occasionally go to dinner and a movie by yourself. It is actually quite relaxing and a pleasant experience. Self-love is important.

16. You can learn the most about who truly cares about you when you are facing rough times.

17. It is not worth neither your time, nor your effort to exert energy in caring too deeply about what others think of you.

18. Find a quotation that inspires you and make it your goal to live out that quotation every day.

19. Never stop learning.

20. Don't take yourself too seriously and learn from every experience.