20 something

20 something

What you need to know in your 20s

11
20 something

20s Something..

Spend a little more time trying to make something of yourself and a little less time trying to impress people...The Breakfast Club

In her 2010 New York Times Magazinefeature, Robin Marantz Henig zeros in on what it is like to be 20 today: "One-third of people in their 20s move to a new residence every year. Forty percent move back home with their parents at least once. They go through an average of seven jobs in their 20s, more job changes than in any other stretch. Two-thirds spend at least some time living with a romantic partner without being married. And marriage occurs later than ever. The median age at first marriage in the early 1970s, when the baby boomers were young, was 21 for women and 23 for men; by 2009 it had climbed to 26 for women and 28 for men, five years in a little more than a generation." This is what it is like to be 20 something; and chances are if you are reading this you you fall into several subcategories: high school graduate entering the workforce; college graduate entering the workforce, or just a confused individual who is stalking social media and wondering if you too should party a little more or less, be in a relationship,or have a house with a poodle and kid? 20 something..welcome to the most conflicting, confusing, and chaotic times in your life. However, as a person who has survived with several battle wounds, I wish I knew as a 20 something the following:

Play ends but work is forever

Go out: do not get sloppy because that is not cute despite what the media glamorizes, but go out. If you are in college remember C’s still get college degrees. Not one employer interviewing you will ask you why got a C verses an A on a final There will come a time where you have deadlines that you have to meet and your mortgage depends on it or children that you have to put to sleep. There will come a time where your friends that no longer exist - so go out.

Live wherever you wish

You want to move? Do it now before you have a family or a career job. You want to live by yourself? Do not let anyone stop you-get the apartment. You want to live home? Smartest thing you can do--save that money and live home while you can. There will be a time you will wish you can move back and not have responsibilities Live in the environment that will make you the happiest.

Drop them like it's hot

Truth is,. ..your heart will be broken, and you may even be the heartbreaker. Don't be afraid to be single in your 20s and stop comparing yourself to those in a relationship. When you have this idea that you have to settle down, you can settle for less than you deserve. If someone is not supportive in the person you wish to be, do not spend another minute. If you have to question why they chose to make you jealous, go out places without including you, ignore phone calls, get intoxicated and mistreat you, put themselves first in all fashions; drop them like it is hot. One day, you will find someone who will love you for all that you are. If you end up settling for a toxic person because society tells you too, you will never be treated like you should.

Be you

If you is weird, if you is a dork, if you is outspoken, fun or quiet --be you. If you have to seek self approval from anyone you are living your life wrong.” You have to stand up for yourself and you should always be a good person. In the words of Dr. Seuss “Be who you are and say what you feel: those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind, don't matter.

Save your money

Travel. Go out to eat at fancy restaurants, and buy that car--but be smart. Save money while you can. One day, you will want more and if you blow it all, the only more you will get is a van down by the river.

Don't be afraid of failure

Every rejection and failure is for a reason. If you fail at a sport, it is to test how hungry you are so you work harder. Same goes when you get a job rejection. Stay hungry and grind.

These are some confusing times but remember, everyone has a purpose in life. It is ok if you do not know your purpose yet-- but go out and find it. Turn off social media and love the person you're becoming.