It's tough to find perfect tattoos with meaning.
You probably want something permanent on your body to mean something deeply, but how do you choose a tattoo that will still be significant in 5, 10, 15, or 50 years? Over time, tattoos have lost much of their stigma and many people consider them a form of art, but it's still possible to get a tattoo you regret.
So here are 20 tattoos you can't go wrong with. Each tattoo has its own unique meaning, but don't blame me if you still have to deal with questions that everyone with a tattoo is tired of hearing!
SEE RELATED: "Please Stop Asking What My Tattoos Mean"
1. A semi-colon indicates a pause in a sentence but does not end. Sometimes it seems like you may have stopped, but you choose to continue on.
2. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."
3. Top symbol: unclosed delta symbol which represents open to change. Bottom symbol: strategy.
4. "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
5. Viking symbol meaning "create your own reality."
6.Greek symbol of Inguz: where there's a will, there's a way.
7. Psalm 18:33 "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights."
8. 'Ohm' tattoo that represents 4 different states of consciousness and a world of illusion: waking (jagrat), dreaming (swapna), deep sleep (sushupti), transcendental state (turiya) and world of illusion (maya)
9. Alchemy: symbolizes copper, means love, balance, feminine beauty and artistic creativity.
10. The Greek word “Meraki" means to do something with soul, passion, love and creativity or to put yourself in to whatever you do.
11. Malin (Skövde, Sweden) – you have to face setbacks to be able to go forward.
12. Symbol meaning "thief" from the Hobbit. It was the rune Gandalf etched into Bilbo's door so the dwarves could find his house.
13. “Lux in tenebris" means “light in darkness."
14. Anchor Tattoo: symbolizing strength & stability, something (or someone) who holds you in place, and provides you the strength to hold on no matter how rough things get.
15."Ad Maiora" is translated literally as “Towards greater things." It is a formula of greeting used to wish more success in life, career or love.
16. A glyphs means “explore." It was meant as a reminder for me to never stop exploring.
17. "Aut inveniam viam aut faciam," meaning roughly, "Either I shall find a way, or I will make one."
18. Lotus Flower. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower's first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment.
19. The zen (or ensō) circle to me represents enlightenment, the universe & the strength we all have inside of us.
20. Two meanings. The moon affirms life. It looks as if it is constantly changing. Can reminds us of the inconsistency of life. It is also symbolizes the continuous circular nature of time and even karma.
The three points we hold to when sharing with people how we have made long distance work for us include; being independent, don't compare your relationship with other people's, and last but definitely NOT least...Communication!
- Don't be obsessed about what the other person doing ALL OF THE TIME.
-Find yourself a hobby/Don't give up the things you love. These help keep your mind busy.
-Don't put your friends on a shelf. Seriously, when you are miles away from your person you need an outlet. Keep your friends and family close and be sure to keep in touch with them.
Don't compare your relationship to other people's relationship
-Your relationship will NOT be like the one couple you admire and look up to on YouTube. It will not be like your parents, grandparents, friends, etc. Your relationship will be your own in every way so just roll with it!
-Every couple has their own story and past and issues
-Some couples argue more than others
-Some couples can afford to visit their person once or twice a month, others have no choice but to wait months on end.
-Communication is a huge part of building trust and love and admiration. Communication is really what strengthens ANY relationship whether your miles away, countries away, or two blocks away, you HAVE to actually communicate.
-When it comes to the big conversations and heart to hearts PLEASE do not attempt to text it all out. Texting increases the risk of miscommunication and misplaced emotions. So it doesn't matter how awkward or deep the conversation may be, make the point and effort to at least pick up your phone and CALL THEM. Or Facetime!
-If you feel sort of like a jealous girlfriend or boyfriend because your person is talking to someone and you may feel threatened, don't be embarrassed by that! Again trust is built through actual communication. So if you feel jealous I suggest not going straight to accusations but pick up that phone and call them and calmly tell them how you feel about the situation and why you feel that way. Give your person the opportunity to know what you're thinking and then communicate with you through it.
Many believe that long distance relationships just can't work. And honestly when a relationship is grounded on the physical aspects of a relationship then yeah it's not going to work. Long distance relationships are not for the faint of heart. It's hard but certainly NOT impossible. When the proper communication is done in a timely manner and the couple makes the effort to not only live their lives while they are apart but to also communicate and not compare relationships, long distance relationships more often than not make a couple STRONGER and more MATURE. For our relationship we focus our hope and love on God. And we encourage you to take that small yet important step as a couple to put your relationship in God's hands. Good luck to you my beautiful readers!
"We love because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19 (ESV)