19 Things I Have Learned In Nineteen Years

It isn't always sunshine and rainbows.

23
Unsplash // Sergey Fediv

On April 29th, I turned nineteen. Here are some of the main things I have learned during my nineteen years on this earth.

19. It is completely okay to cry when you need to.

Completely acceptable. Someone took the last bite of your dinner? Cry. Drowning in homework? Cry. It is okay.

18. The only true friend you will ever have is your mother.

Your mom won't go and date your ex-boyfriend. She will never break "girl code" because she is the one that taught you what it is.

17. If it will not matter in the next week, month, or year, it probably is not worth your stress.

Honestly, that quiz grade is NOT going to determine if you get accepted into college or not.

16. Do not be afraid to be friends with people that are not exactly like you.

They say that opposites attract, and that is definitely true. Do not be afraid to meet and experience new people.

15. Not everyone is going to love the same as you do, and that is okay.

I am the girl that loves every person she meets without the least bit of condition or hesitation. With that, my heart is fragile. It is okay to love differently. That is what makes me who I am.

14. Taking adventures will NEVER get old.

Go to Walmart at 2 AM. Take spur of the moment road trips. Discover somewhere new that you have never been before. I promise you, it is never disappointing, especially with your closest friends.

13. If your boyfriend isn't pushing your relationship with Christ, he is not for you, sweetie.

Yes, he needs to be your best friend, other half, etc. BUT, if he is all of those things but does not push you towards Christ, it is not worth your time. Go for the guy that wants you to open your Bible, not your legs (sorry, that was way too blunt).

12. The amount of 'likes' on your photo does not deem your worth.

I know, this used to bother me, too. Then, I discovered that no matter who likes my photo, God STILL created me in His beautiful image. There is no such thing as "ugly"

11. If you are not happy with your life, change something.

Not happy at your job? Find something new. Not okay with your friend group? Make new friends. Not in love with your wall color? Paint it. Change CAN be good; allow it to be.

10. Spend all the time you can with your family.

Time slips away so, so fast. Don't miss those precious moments, you truly will never get them back.

9. The grieving process is real and time is the main healer.

From someone that lost two very close people to her in the matter of two months, I can vouch for this one. Allow yourself time to grieve and miss them. It is okay to cry. It is okay to question. It is okay to hurt. Do not think you are crazy for not being able to process it in a matter of a few days. It takes months, most of the time years.

8. Do not waste your time being envious of others.

Trust me, that girl that you are jealous of is probably jealous of you, too. Everyone has qualities (not just physical) that make them who they are as an individual. Love someone because they are different. Do not be envious of the gift they have been given. God has given you your precious gifts, too.

7. Get off your phone and have a real conversation.

Be respectful enough to your partner, your elders, your friends, and your family members to sit your phone down for a few minutes and just talk. Have a real, live conversation with them. It's healthy.

6. Do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone.

As a Christian, this one has been particularly hard. It is difficult to stand up against your peers and say what you think. However, you must stand for what you know is right.

5. The water is a beautiful place to leave your worries.

"Cares are left at the water's edge"

4. You may be a mess, but you are a beautiful mess.

Do not be ashamed to admit that you are not perfect. In God's eyes, you are flawless.

3. Read your Bible and take some notes: you WILL feel better.

When I have a bad day, I have learned that the best thing to do is to throw my hair off, put on my PJs, and crack open my Bible. When I consume myself into the blessings that I have been given, it lifts a huge weight off my shoulders. What a relief it is.

2. College is important.

Where you decide to complete your higher education definitely matters. Do not slack off in college. Stay focused. Your grades definitely matter when you graduate.

1. Love the ones that do you wrong.

This is hard, but it makes you feel so much better. It is amazing to be the bigger person.