19 Lesson's I've Learned By 19

19 Lesson's I've Learned By 19

You will change and you will grow.

10
19 Lesson's I've Learned By 19
W-Dog

Each day is filled with opportunities to learn and grow, with challenges around every corner. Each day presents new life lessons from which we are able to develop ourselves into better versions of ourselves and into more fully functioning members of society. While each day is filled with another lesson, over the past 19 years of stumbling through life, some lessons have stood out a bit more than the others as constant reminders to my ever-growing self.

1. Patience is a virtue, a very important virtue that needs constant development and focus.

You’re not going to wake up one day with perfect patience. In a culture where gratification is instant, traffic, long lines in the store and having to wait for food in a restaurant can be extremely frustrating. People will make you mad, you will need to wait and while patience won’t take away the situation, responding to others in a peaceful manner will not only make you, but also those around you, calmer and happier. Patience is difficult, but rewarding.

2. You're going to have bad days, and even bad weeks, but this does not mean your life is bad.

While being in a rough spot may seem like the end of the world, it’s not. Bad days are only 24 hours; life keeps moving even when we feel stuck. The only thing you can do is put on a smile and continue on through the struggle—it will come to an end.

3. Bad things do happen to good people.

I really wish I could understand this lesson. I will forever wonder why such bad things happen to such good people, but all I can do for now is trust in God’s plan.

4. If you don’t stand for something, you will fall.

Yes, this is cliche, but it's a cliche that holds extremely true. Everyone needs something that they know to be true; everyones needs something in which to believe. This “something,” whether God or your goals, can help to center your life and make decisions to continue to help you grow and move forward.

5. Make yourself a priority.

After all, you're stuck with yourself for the rest of your life. You deserve to be treated fairly and you deserve to be loved and cared for. This starts with yourself—if you don’t know how to take care of yourself, how can you expect someone else to take care of you?

6. Be selfless.

Share your time, abilities, and money. Don’t do this for the acknowledgement from others, but rather for the good of those with whom you are sharing. It is so much better to give than to receive, so if you are able to share, why not do it?

7. Always take time to marvel at the beauty of the Earth.

The world around us is a gorgeous place. Take time to go for hikes or head to a park to explore the beauty. Camp and travel. You will not regret it.

8. Be kind, no matter what.

Everyone is fighting some sort of battle, often times a battle unseen. The world needs more kind people.

9. The customer is not always right.

However, the customer still deserves your respect and consideration. This is applicable to any and all disagreements you have with others.

10. Be yourself.

Don’t waste your time pretending to be someone that you’re not. Let others know the real you. It is so much more rewarding to have friends and family who love you for your weird, goofy self than some perfected version of yourself. This allows for more fully developed relationships and it makes living a little easier as you aren’t as worried constantly about losing face.

11. Make your family a priority.

No matter how often you fight, your parents and siblings can be your greatest friends when it seems like everything is going wrong. They have been there since the beginning and they will be there until the end, so long as you work to build those relationships.

12. You do not need someone else to complete you.

You are complete in and of yourself. While someone may complement you, it is not possible for them to complete you. Were you only half a person before they came into your life? I don’t think so.

13. No one but you can determine your worth.

You are the only person on Earth who can determine your worth. Society and other people cannot tell you what you are worth and when they try, don’t listen.

14. You have to work hard for what you want.

Nothing will come easy. Great relationships, jobs and connections all take massive amounts of dedication and work. How badly you are willing to fight for these items is completely up to you.

15. Time is your greatest resource and it’s up to you to decide to use that time well or let it go to waste.

Every five minutes you spend on your phone or laying in bed dreading the start of the day is five minutes you could be using to accomplish something on your to-do list. It’s better to take small steps to achieving than to take zero steps at all.

16. Forgive. Always.

People are going to hurt you. People are going to leave. This is part of life and, while it does sting, you will be okay. Forgive those who wrong you—holding onto grudges only makes one bitter.

17. No one actually has their life put together.

It’s no lie that life can be tough. We are all on a journey through life, a very bumpy journey that is always moving and changing. No one is able to smoothly sail though every single storm that life sends their way. We are all constantly being challenged in new ways, so the puzzle of life can never be fully complete. No matter how perfect someone’s life may seem on the outside, there is always more happening under the surface.

18. It’s okay to cry, but it’s not okay to wallow in pity.

Everyone cries and everyone has bad days, however, getting stuck in self-pity will never move you forward through your situation. Focus on living instead of letting your soul sit in misery. The only way to get through a rough time is to continue moving forward.

19. Remember to always love.

Love your family. Love your friends. Love your neighbors. Love the strangers you see at the store. Love, love, love. It will make you happier and healthier, and it will brighten the entire world around you.