18 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

18 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

Stop trying to be something you're not.

34
18 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

High school is the time to make mistakes. But, there were so many lessons I wish I had learned sooner. "High school me" had to learn many of these the hard way. If I could go back and give myself some advice, though, I think I know what I'd say...

1. The quality of your friends is more important than the quantity of them.

It’s way better to have a few great friends, than tons of bad friends.

2. Popularity doesn’t matter.

It’s okay to not be in the popular crowd. Later, you’ll learn that none of that matters in the real world.

3. Do what makes you happy, not what makes you cool.

Rather than doing things that make you uncomfortable just to fit in, do what makes you happy.

4. It’s just a bad day, not a bad life.

You failed a test, got into a fight with your best friend, and spilled coffee on your favorite shirt. The sun will still come up tomorrow, you’re still alive and well, and you still have a fantastic life.

5. Don’t compare yourself to others.

Comparing yourself to the other kids will only make you unhappier. Even though you don’t think so, you are enough.

6. No one is perfect. Not even the popular girls.

Even though it seems like the other girls are perfect, they aren’t. It’s okay to make mistakes, wear a bad outfit, get a questionable haircut, or wear too much eyeliner.

7. It’s okay to fail at something.

Don’t be afraid to try something new, even if you fail, it will teach you something.

8. Stop being so nervous.

You waste too much time being nervous about things you can’t control. Don’t worry about starting a new class, meeting a new friend, or trying a new sport. Take a risk.

9. None of this is going to matter anyway.

Someday, you’ll realize that none of this matters. No one will remember the dumb high school drama or embarrassing moments you had.

10. Your parents actually know what they’re talking about.

As much as you don’t want to believe it, your parents are right. Listen to them.

11. It’s okay to get a bad grade.

Don’t let that bad grade define you. Get back up, and try again.

12. The real world is nothing like high school.

Don’t get used to any of this. The real world is a whole new ball game.

13. You don’t need a boy’s approval.

Don’t let the opinions of the boys at school dictate how you see yourself.

14. It’s not going to feel like the best years of your life.

Between the pep rallies, Friday night football games, and proms, everyone likes to think these are the best years of your life. But, it won’t always feel that way, and that’s okay. Don’t worry about living up to these expectations all the time... it’s impossible.

15. You don’t need to try so hard.

Just relax and be yourself!

16. It’s going to go by fast.

It feels like this is going to last forever, but when you get that diploma, you’ll realize how fast it all went.

17. It’s important to set goals, even if no one else is.

Just because no one else has a plan, doesn’t mean you’re weird for knowing what you want.

18. High school doesn’t last forever.

You’ll be out of here in no time. Relax, enjoy yourself, and get that diploma!