18 Life Lessons I Learned From The Office

Making your way through life just got a whole lot easier, thanks to Dunder Mifflin

354

Anyone who knows me knows that this paper company comedy starring Steve Carell is my all-time favorite show. Aside from the hooking characters, dry humor, and goofy antics, there is a lot of real-life advice to be taken from the NBC hit.

Although, in my opinion, it's quite impossible to list everything that this show teaches, here are 18 things I learned from "The Office" :

1. Work hard for what you want

Anything in life needs to be worked for. Whether it's Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch, or the girl of your dreams, it takes effort. Things need to be earned.

2. Take life seriously

Life takes a certain amount of professionalism and dignity. You can't get anywhere without respect, and you can't be respected if you don't take things seriously.

3. But know when to have fun

Not everything in life is about professional appearance, though. Don't forget to let loose and have some fun.

4. Life doesn’t go as planned

If you follow the course of any of the character's lives, you'd see that things often went the opposite way they had planned. It's an extremely important concept to grasp: that life can't be planned. Kevin teaches it best of all.

5. People can be destructive

Sometimes, the people you love most -- or think you love most -- are causing you the most harm.

6. But they can also rock

Contrastingly, there will be people who take you by surprise with their kindness. The people who really love you will show it.

7. Christmas parties are important

Double fudge... Angela. Double fuudgee... Angela. Hmmm. The wildest things can happen around the Holidays. This show taught me how to let loose during the season.

8. Always look inside a teapot before playing Yankee Swap

So important. You never know what could be inside.

9. Be patient

You have to wait for the best things in life. And it sucks.

11. And never give up

You'll be faced with a lot of doubt and hurt. But you have to learn to persevere because you never know how worth it, it might end up being.

12. Because true love really does prevail

What's meant to be will be.

13. Enjoy where you are

It's hard not to get caught up on planning for the future, or dwelling on the past. It's important to remember to make time for the present, because it's gone before you know it.

14. Because the small things add up

Enjoy every day, all the little moments of dance parties and office pranks. Everything seems insignificant in the moment, but you're gonna miss it later. Enjoy life.

15. Your boss isn’t always going to be your best friend

A lot of times, your boss is gonna be kind of a jerk.

16. But he can be

But he can also be one of the greatest people you've ever met - The World's Greatest Boss. Appreciate that.

17. You can find your best friends in the most unlikely places

You don't always expect your homeroom classmates or your cubicle neighbors to be anything more than acquaintances. But don't fight it if they become something more. If there's one major thing to be taken from "The Office," it's that you never know what people can end up meaning to you. Your friends can come from anywhere, and those friends can become your family. That's just one of the crazy, unexpected, beautiful things about life.

18. Finally, K-I-S-S: Keep It Simple Stupid

Heeding Michael's wise sales advice, I'm gonna stop here before killing your brain with gifs.

While this barely puts a dent in what this show offers humanity, I hope you related to some of these life lessons from Dunder Mifflin.

If you think I missed an important one, comment below what you learned from "The Office!"