The 18 Best Lyrics From Halsey's "BADLANDS"

Because I couldn't just copy and paste the entire album in this article.

23509
Amazon

Halsey's full length debut album came out in August of 2015 and surprised everyone with its unique sound and unflinching attitude. It became one of the best albums of 2015, and in honor of the new year and school starting up again, I thought I'd bring us all some Halsey happiness. There are plenty of gems to be found in almost every one of her songs, so here are the best 18 lyrics from "BADLANDS," in no particular order.

1. We are the new Americana, / High on legal marijuana, / Raised on Biggie and Nirvana.
--New Americana

This song is the anthem of the millennial generation, and this line gives a taste of the culture they have created for themselves.

2. And I found myself reminded to keep you far away from me.
--Hurricane

This line captures the moment when you realize that the person you are just starting to get to know is bad news for you, and that you should run far and fast before you get in too deep.

3. Don't belong to no city / Don't belong to no man.
--Hurricane

Girl code.

4. Late December with my heart in my chest and the clouds of my breath / Didn't know where we were running to.
--Roman Holiday

I relate to this lyric on a spiritual level. It also just shows that sometimes, you need to just accept what you have right now, without being too concerned for the future.

5. I like the sad eyes, bad guys / Mouth full of white lies / Kiss me in the corridor, / But quick to tell me goodbye.
-Ghost

Gosh, who doesn't? This line is for all those girls who just can't help falling for the commitment-phobes.

6. You were red and you liked me 'cause I was blue / You touched me and suddenly I was a lilac sky / And you decided purple just wasn't for you.
--Colors

Ugh. This lyric just straight up punches you in the gut.

7. And everybody wants to know 'bout how it felt to hear you scream / They know you walk like you're a God, they can't believe I made you weak.
--Strange Love

This is the song to put on if you just want to feel powerful, sexy, and strong. Also this is a life goal, something to put on your bucket list: take that cocky boy who thinks he owns everything and get him wrapped around your little finger.

8. I found the Devil / I found him in a lover / And his lips like tangerines / And his color coded speak.
--Coming Down

Sometimes, boys are just so cute that it physically hurts, and it makes girls want to do some crazy things.

9. And we have roots like the trees / But then your eyes start to wander / 'Cause they weren't looking at me.
--Haunting

Relationship status: complicated.

10. You can't wake up, this is not a dream, / You're part of a machine, you are not a human being, / With your face all made up, living on a screen, / Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline.
--Gasoline

AKA: capitalism dehumanizes and causes negative body image issues by forcing unrealistic expectations on both genders. #FightThePower #YouAreBeautifulWithNoMakeup

11. I'm bigger than my body / I'm colder than this home / I'm meaner than my demons / I'm bigger than these bones.
--Control

Just a friendly reminder that you are more than just your body, your past, and your problems. So much more.

12. I'm the king and you're the queen and we will stumble through heaven / If there's a light at the end, it's just the sun in your eyes / I know you wanna go to heaven but you're human tonight.
--Young God

More advice to stay in the moment and take full advantage of life.

13. Because you're mine, I walk the line.
--I Walk The Line

Sure, this line is actually from a cover of one of Johnny Cash's most famous songs, but Halsey sings with just as much emotion as the man himself. Anyone who has ever been in love can relate to this line; who hasn't found themselves doing things they normally wouldn't do just for a special person?

14. All we do is think about the feelings that we hide / All we do is sit in silence waiting for a sign / Sick and full of pride.
--Drive

What a beautiful way to describe the beginning of the end of a poisonous relationship.

15. My demons are begging me to open up my mouth / They fight me, vigorous and angry, watch them pounce / Ignite me, licking at the flames they bring about.
--Hold Me Down

The moment when you're in a huge fight with your significant other, best friend, or even parent and you are so close to bringing up some receipts from years ago that you know you shouldn't, and you just barely stop yourself, and they don't even know how close they were to being destroyed. At least, that's what I think this is about...

16. I sold my soul to a three-piece / And he told me I was holy / He's got me down on both knees / But it's the devil that's tryna / Hold me down...
--Hold Me Down

Man, the way she sings these lines...

17. Now my neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it / Already choking on my pride, so there's no use crying about it.
--Castle

I fell ya, Halsey. I feel ya.

18. I'm headed straight for the castle / They've got the kingdom locked up / And there's an old man sitting on the throne that's saying I should probably keep my pretty mouth shut.
--Castle

I pity the fool that ever steps to Halsey like that. She'd slay them, just like this album slayed me.