15 Songs Every Musical Theatre Kid Knows

Yes, it's theatre, not theater.

1098
Going For Broadway

Yes, these 15 songs are some of the most iconic, well-known songs in all of musical theatre. No matter how over-auditioned or over-performed some are, you know every word—whether you love it or hate it. So here's the list (in no particular order) to my fellow theatre nerds.

1. "Seasons of Love" from Rent

*cues tears*

2. All of Les Misérables

Honestly, if you truly know Les Mis, you know all of it. "One Day More," "I Dreamed a Dream," "Castle on a Cloud"—this has more recognizable songs than it knows what to do with.

3. "Mama Who Bore Me" from Spring Awakening

What controversial issue doesn't this musical have??

4. "Hello" from Book of Mormon

*rings doorbell*

5. "Maybe This Time" from Cabaret

6. "All That Jazz" from Chicago

When should you audition with this song? Never.

7. "Defying Gravity" from Wicked

If you haven't tried to hit Idina's final note then you're lying.

8. "For Good" from Wicked

*cues tears again*

9. "Don’t Rain on My Parade" from Funny Girl

No, this is not from Glee originally. I know, what a surprise.

10. "What You Want" from Legally Blonde

11. "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera

12. "Alexander Hamilton" from Hamilton

Damn you, Lin-Manuel Miranda, you genius, you.

13. "The Worst Pies in London" from Sweeney Todd

14. "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof

I'm sorry that it's stuck in your head now.

15. "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’" from Oklahoma!

How many times have we mocked this song done at competitions?

From the well-done to the over-done, these songs are so recognizable it almost hurts. And yes, I do admit that there are others that could be on this list (I'm looking at you West Side Story) but with so many musicals, so many legends, and so many hits, the list will never end.