14 Things I Learned From My Freshman Year Of College

Change is good.

22
UNL.edu

After completing my freshman year of college, I’ve learned a lot of new things. Freshmen year of college is a major milestone in anyone’s life. It’s your first chance to experience living on your own, away from your parents; full of independence and freedom. It’s your time to take chances, make dumb decisions, and fail one too many exams. In the end, we learn from our mistakes, and more about ourselves than we ever imagined possible.

1. You'll have so much free time, yet no free time at all.

The stress and difficulties of college will leave you wishing you had more time to binge watch Netflix, and sleep for longer than 4 hours per night.

2. You will appreciate your family 10 times more than you already do.

Family gatherings, holidays, and visits home will mean a little bit more to you.

3. When you're at college you'll miss home, and when you're at home you'll miss college.

Especially in the beginning months after move-in-day, you will find yourself making a few too many phone calls to your mom.

4. Hunger is a constant feeling.

Ahh, hunger. Even after making one too many trips to the dining hall, you will most likely be hungry 5 minutes later.

5. Daily naps are necessary.

There is nothing better than strategically planning your naps in between classes.

6. You will have mental breakdowns often.

College is full of emotions. You can experience 10 different emotions in the span of five minutes.

7. You learn to hate all microwavable foods.

When all you have is a microwave, easy mac will no longer be your favorite. You will find yourself becoming desperate for a home cooked meal.

8. You jump on any opportunity that has the word "free" involved.

As a poor college student, whenever you are offered something free, whether it's food or a free t-shirt, you never say no.

9. Skipping class is the dumbest thing you can do.

Even if you just pulled multiple all-nighters in a row, get your butt out of bed!

10. Football season is the highlight of the school year.

There is nothing quite like rooting on your school at a home football game, and bleeding your school colors.

11. You either luck out and become best friends with your roommate, or you hate each other.

Cherish your roommate. Before you know it, it will be move out day, and you'll have to learn to live without each other for the summer.

12. Goodbyes are harder than anything.

Having to say goodbye to your new friends for the summer is a lot harder than it may seem.

13. Time goes by SO fast.

This statement is the truest of them all. One minute it's August, and the next minute you're moving out of your freshman dorm.

14. Lastly, I learned that there is absolutely nothing like living on campus with all of your friends.

As the year comes to an end, you will be extra grateful for all of the amazing people you met in just a year.