13 Ways To Self-Care This Week

13 Ways To Self-Care This Week

(And every week.)

122
13 Ways To Self-Care This Week
google.com

The past couple of weeks have been rough. Combine the unrest in our country with that time of the semester and you get nothing good. If you've been feeling less than happy, you're not alone. It can be hard to find time for ourselves in our busy schedules, but over the holiday weekend try to set aside some time for just you. Here are some suggestions to help you de-stress and self-care:

1. Put Your Phone Down For 20 Whole Minutes

And stay away from your laptop, tablet, and TV too. We Americans spend between 8 and 10 hours a day looking at a screen, and some say this could be linked to higher anxiety. So turn your phone on do not disturb, close your laptop, and find something else to do.

2. Read a Book

A good old fashioned paper book. With pages and everything. Perhaps do this during those 20 minutes that you're not looking at your phone...

3. Or Find Something Else You Enjoy Doing

If reading isn't your thing, you can always do something else during your phone free 20 minutes. Maybe sketch, or do a crafting project.

4. Color

Except maybe not this one, because it looks stressful. Coloring can be a hit or miss, but some people do find it fun and stress-relieving.

5. Try Exercising

Exercising releases endorphin, chemicals that naturally make you feel happier. So you really can't feel sad while you're riding a bike.

6. Call your mom

Or dad, or brother, cousin, or grandma. We all have that family member who puts everything in perspective and makes us feel better. Call them.

7. If Possible, Go Home and Hug Your Pet

Nothing makes us feel better than cuddling with our furry friends.

8. Ignore the News

Unless you get your news from Joe Biden memes. Those are still safe.

9. Sing Your Favorite Song

Take a cue from Ferris Bueller and just belt it out. No shame.

10. Plan

Obviously this isn't true for everyone, but for me planning is a great stress reliever. I find that when I have a plan, I feel more in control of my life. When I feel more in control of my life, I'm happier.

11. Take a Nap

Who doesn't wish they could reclaim all those naps they didn't take in Kindergarten?

12. Better Yet, Go to Bed Early

I firmly believe that nothing good ever happens after midnight. Plus, being over tired can lead to higher levels of stress and anxiety, which make it harder to sleep. Avoid that slippery slope and just get some shut eye!

13. Eat Some Chocolate

If all else fails, chocolate will always make you feel better. Or, if you're one of those rare people who doesn't like chocolate, any other of your favorite comfort foods will work in its place.

Take some time to self-care this week!