11 YA Books Worth Reading

11 YA Books Worth Reading

If there's an age limit on YA books, I'm never growing up.

89
11 YA Books Worth Reading
The Book Owl

When I was in the seventh grade, I had a teacher who said we couldn't read any "bubblegum" books. She wanted us to read books with strong story lines, diverse characters and detailed conflicts. She also decided that the entirety of young adult fiction did not fit that description. So, in the seventh grade, I started my secret love affair with young adult fiction, and I haven't regretted it since. Here are 11 YA books that will make you cry, laugh and curse, all while you're probably wishing for some dreamy boyfriend who will bring you coffee in the morning and write you long love songs.

1. "Just One Day" by Gayle Foreman

This book is one of the most frustrating, yet entirely rewarding books that I have ever read. Spanning the course of one intense day and the year that follows it, the main character, Allyson, tries to figure out herself while chasing the idea of a boy she barely knew. This book (and its sequel) are amazing.

2. "The Six Rules of Maybe" by Deb Caletti

There is so much happening in this book that makes it so good. It's hard to decide if you want the main character to be with the boy she's in love with, because it asks the question: is love always enough? It's a complicated question that reminds us that teenage romance isn't simple.

3. "Twenty Boy Summer" by Sarah Ockler

I read this when I thought love was boys who gave girls Valentine's Day cards that had jelly beans in them. It's the kind of book that has you crying and laughing over the course of a few pages. It's a story of grief and growth that's so much more than a cliche summer story.

4. "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" by Morgan Matson

Every teenager has dreamed of taking a road trip with their best friends, exploring random tourist attractions and stopping at 24-hour diners for bad coffee. The plot of this book is as twisty as the drive across the country, both Amy and Roger having secrets of their own. As if the book wasn't good enough already, there are playlists and other road trip mementos throughout the book.

5. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" by Ann Brashares

The movie just hit Netflix, bringing back a whole new wave of nostalgia. The book has the same plot, but is amazing on its own and is part of a five-book series that surpasses anything the movies were able to do. This book tackles long-distance friendship and personal problems, both familiar struggles for college kids.

6. "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell

This book tackles so many heavy subjects, from an unsafe home to body issues and everything in between. Yet, it's done in a way that you can relate to even the things you've never struggled with. There's the love story you're rooting for from the very beginning, even when hope seems lost for the two kids.

7. "Looking for Alaska" by John Green

Even though Green is one of the biggest names in the young adult literary world, he's mostly known for the star-crossed love story of Hazel Grace and Gus. Besides that, though, he wrote a heartbreaking novel about a boy called Pudge and his fascination with Alaska Young. This is one of the few books that I've read more than once, and I cried like a baby both times.

8. "Along for the Ride" by Sarah Dessen

One of many of Dessen's summer romance books, this one includes insomniac adventures and bicycles. Dessen crafts beach-side towns you never want to leave, and this book is just the thing to help you through the last few weeks of winter.

9. "Anna and the French Kiss" by Stephanie Perkins

Filled with quirky characters, a swoon-worthy romance interest and the all-too-relatable homesickness, this book encapsulates everything you would want from a year studying abroad. It's a quick read that leaves you feeling like maybe, one day, you'll find a cute French boy for yourself, too.

10. "Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

This book focuses on Charlie, who has been through more than anyone can imagine. Most of his issues aren't even revealed until the end of the story, but he's a relatable main character. This book made me think about the world a little differently, which is heavy weight to put on any book, but I mean it. Even if you've seen the movie, the book is worth the read.

11. "Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver

While most YA novels usually feature protagonists who can't be bothered with the social hierarchy of high school, the main character of this story is a popular senior. She loves high school and is content being cruel until she dies. Given not one, but seven chances to make things right, this story follows Samantha as she relives her last day repeatedly. It's a story of life and death and how one person can affect so many people.