11 Thoughts Every Restaurant Server Has

11 Thoughts Every Restaurant Server Has

"Is Pepsi okay instead of Coke, sir?"

43
11 Thoughts Every Restaurant Server Has
snagajob.com

"Hi, I'll be your server today. May I start you with something to drink?"

Waiters and waitresses are a common position for people to hold at least once in their life, often as a transitional phase or a college job. Here are eleven things many servers can agree upon:

1. We can usually tell who used to be a server because they are friendly, very understanding, often make some sort of small talk, tip very well, treat their server like they're actually a person and they smile as they maintain eye contact.

2. My dad always told me that if you're polite and kind to everyone, the more willing they will be to help you. If you are nice and ask politely, we will be far more willing to fulfill your requests.

3. There are pens everywhere. Pens galore.

4. We may or may not sort of have a "hit list" of notoriously difficult customers about whom the experienced, veteran servers have wonderful stories.

5. Old people are the best. Though the concept of tipping is sometimes weird to some of them, they will often make some smiling, sassy and witty remark that make serving them entertaining.

6. Busy shifts absolutely fly by and running around is stressful, though lots of fun.

7. Learning early on that good shoes are necessary is a must. They'll save your knees, hips and back.

8. Each restaurant has it's own system for marking tables. It's basically another language.

9. The regulars who go out of their way to learn your name and basic stuff about you are greatly appreciated and always make me smile.

10. One arm is significantly stronger than the other from holding the huge trays. Pipes of steel on one arm, limp noodle on the other arm.

11. Serving is usually fun because you are constantly on the move, you get to talk to and interact with people, build great social skills, make good money and get entertained each day by all of the different, wonderful people.