11 Things You Miss About Your THON Committee

Some of the most passionate, hardworking, welcoming, and uplifting people you will ever meet.

295
Christina Tentilucci

THON is easily the most magical weekend of the year. Joining a THON committee is just one of the many ways to play your part in contributing to THON's magic. I can wholeheartedly say that joining a THON committee was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only was I able to meet the most passionate, hardworking, enthusiastic, welcoming, and uplifting group of people, but I was also able to work alongside these amazing humans in order to contribute toward something bigger than myself— for the glory, for the cure, and for the kids.

The year has come and gone, but the memories remain timeless and my heart remains nostalgic. This article is for anyone who has experienced the joy of being on a THON committee, and who is already counting down the days until the most magical 46 hours of the year.

Here are some things you might miss about your THON committee:

1. That feeling of overjoyed relief after receiving the long-awaited captain phone call saying that you have been selected to be on his/her committee.

"Hi there *so-and-so* my name is *so-and-so* and I'm calling to offer you a spot on my committee for this year's THON!"

2. How pumped you were being added to the committee group chat and finally discovering your fellow committee members.

You already loved each and every one of them without having actually met them, and vice-versa.

3. The weekly meetings in *insert building/room number here*, all of which were easily the highlight of your week.

Happy Quarters, family stories, and inspiration never failed to put your worries into perspective, even if only for a few hours.

4. Arguing over which committee name you should choose.

One of the most serious and important decisions you made that semester.

5. The random hangouts and themed socials.

Some of the most lit moments of the year.

6. The cuddles, secrets, and inside jokes you shared during committee retreats.

It was during these retreats where you began to feel like a family.

7. Sharing why THON has your heart and also hearing why your other committee members THON.

It gets real deep, real quick, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

8. Your captain, the person who had faith in you from the very beginning.

As my amazing captain always said: "You were each picked for a reason. Never forget it." It's simple words of affirmation such as this that mean the most. In a world of competition, it was so refreshing knowing your presence was needed and appreciated.

9. Your committee members, the strangers who quickly turned into family in the span of five short months.

You have laughed together, cried together, and worked together to contribute toward something indescribably beautiful. The connections you formed as a result are timeless. These people will forever hold a special place in your heart.

10. Standing next to your committee during the Final Four, holding each other through the tears and exhaustion, finishing THON the way you started it—together.

There will be tears or sadness, but there will also be tears of happiness.

11. Being a part of something bigger than yourself as you experienced a weekend you will always remember with the people you will never forget, all in pursuit of a cure.

Always FTK.

All in all, these nostalgic memories give us that much more reason to be excited for next year's THON and all of the newfound moments, memories, and magic it will bring.